How is this sounding (Deathcore)

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Hey dudes, I'm working on a mix for a song I wrote and I just wanted some critiques while I'm at work so I can keep working on it tonight. The first riff doesn't have bass under it, I fucked up bouncing it but had to run out the door. Some parts don't have vocals because I'm still writing the lyrics/playing with phrasing, but the parts that do have vocals are set in stone as far as writing.

Anyways let me know what you think, only thing on the master bus is a limiter to give it some volume, but it's barely reducing any db

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2113488/Deathcore Songs/Mix With Vocals.mp3

Once this is all done I will be posting a new video + stems for it so help me help you ;)

I'm not a fan of that guitar tone. I'm not sure what it is about it; it's just really weird. Like in a loose distorted way. What amp did you use?

I had it reamped by someone else because I can never settle on my tones lol, it was a Mesa Dual Rectifier I believe. I figured it was just an EQ thing, I've been fighting with it this morning.

Yeah it sounds legit other than the guitar tones really. I honestly figured it was a recto because of the looseness. It just doesn't really work for this song in my opinion.

Yeah it sounds legit other than the guitar tones really. I honestly figured it was a recto because of the looseness. It just doesn't really work for this song in my opinion.

Shit, I kinda felt that way too. I mean the tone is huge, but the dynamic quality of it kind of lacks. I'll hit up the dude who did it and see what he says.

Mix overall is pretty great, I'm digging that tone, though it does sound kind of 'flubby' as others have mentioned. To me it sounds like the guitar had a really low action and loose strings or was played with a dull pick or something like that... overall, good stuff!

I think it's just a fuzzy loose tone really. I think a good tight reamp would be killer.

So I'm having them reamped again with a tighter/cleaner sounding reamp. I'll post back once that's done, should be tomorrow. Hopefully I have will have the vocals done by then too. Cheers! Thanks for the critiques

I had it reamped by someone else because I can never settle on my tones lol, it was a Mesa Dual Rectifier I believe. I figured it was just an EQ thing, I've been fighting with it this morning.

Jersey dude! Absolutely love the stuff you are doing/letting us mix! I´d add the vocals for the other parts ha ha..(you didn´t track them/mix them yet?)

The guitar tone isn´t that bad! It could definitely use more "beef", and less harshness. Try sweeping through a 7-10 band EQ, HPF,LPF, and do surgical cuts where bad frequencies tend to build up, like in the upper mids. Lowpass there, and try to work on the low end. Seems there is absolutely no body there.
But, i can´t wait to mix practice this song man!! Had a blast on your other Tech Death track!

Jersey dude! Absolutely love the stuff you are doing/letting us mix! I´d add the vocals for the other parts ha ha..(you didn´t track them/mix them yet?)

The guitar tone isn´t that bad! It could definitely use more "beef", and less harshness. Try sweeping through a 7-10 band EQ, HPF,LPF, and do surgical cuts where bad frequencies tend to build up, like in the upper mids. Lowpass there, and try to work on the low end. Seems there is absolutely no body there.
But, i can´t wait to mix practice this song man!! Had a blast on your other Tech Death track!

Cheers dude! I'm posting stems for every song I do, I'm trying to do songs every other week or every week. Subscribe to my youtube!

So I had my guy reamp the tracks again through his 6505 and it sounds so much punchier and clearer. Get stoked! I will be including both the Mesa Reamp and 6505 reamps with the stems

I personally like this guitar tone a little better but the first mix sat together better. I think it has too much high mids though, I'd cut back on them a little. Something still sounds weird about the guitars. Kinda like they are loose and fuzzy. The kick is a bit weak too. It could use some more body and low end.