how many times have you seen saxon?

Am I Evil is one of Diamond Head's best songs - well I'm huge DH fan, so I think every DH song rocks. I was heavily into NWOBHM and saw tons of those bands, probably on average 3 or 4 bands a week. I would have to say DH were and still are probably my favourite, with Saxon, Girlschool and Angel Witch not too far behind. I've been listening to almost nothing apart from DH all week cos they're playing in November with Mantis/Witchfynde & Jaguar and I'm going, so it'll be sensational.

Shoot out the Lights always used to get played in the pub and I never knew who sang it, eventually found out it was DH and then realised they were playing there couple weeks later. They were amazing and then I saw them again few months later at Penthouse in Glasgow and about 6 months after that they were at Glasgow Apollo. Also saw them in another wee pub in Greenock before the Penthouse. They became pretty big in a short space of time and both Metallica and Megadeth rate them as big influences.

I didn't know it was DH who supporting Megadeth in February there and by the time I realised that, all the tickets were sold out, so was pretty disappointed at missing them. Not really interested in Megadeth but would have loved to have seen DH again - they've got a new singer now so it wouldn't have been the same, but I still heard they were brill.

nightwar said:
Respect is due, your Royal Higness - you are a true NWOBHM Fiend!!

I quite like getting called Your Royal Highness, it's very cool :D . I just totally love my NWOBHM. I was heavily into it at the time and still think its the best music around. I really like all classic rock and Rush but probably if I was to be stranded on a desert island and only allowed to take either all Rush albums, all classic rock albums or all my NWOBHM albums, it would definitely be the NWOBHM albums that I would take. Anyone who is still into NWOBHM is a friend of mine for life. I'm pretty stuck in my ways and it takes me ages to get around to listening to newer music - I do listen to some but always end up going back to my Saxon, DH, Girlschool, Angel Witch, Praying Mantis, Samson, Tank etc. I definitely still think I'll be blasting out nwobhm when I'm like 80 or something.

There is a band I'm really into just now called OPEN HAND. A friend gave me their CD about a month ago and it's amazing. They're playing the Cathouse in Glasgow on 7th June, so I'm seeing them, its only £7 a ticket. First time I listened to their CD I thought it was brill and it's not often I stick on a new CD and like it instantly. If you want to have a wee listen go to www.hmv.co.uk and at search type in Open Hand You and Me and you can hear a few clips. Listen to tracks 1 (Pure Concentrated Evil) and track 14 (Hard Night) first cos they're superb. I think everyone on here will like this band, pretty rocky but not like that doomy stuff. I'll need to post their tour dates cos they're playing quite a few dates in England before they play Download. And I also need to post my Saxon pics which I will definitely do later on today.

nightwar said:
NWOBHM Fiend!!

LOL Nightwar I just noticed you said Fiend, quickly reading it first time I thought you said NWOBHM Friend. Cos I've said in my previous post anyone who's still into NWOBHM bigtime is a friend of mine for life. I seem to have a way of confusing everyone. Well I suppose I am a NWOBHM Fiend & Friend, so what I'm basically saying if anyone still totally worships loads of NWOBHM bands then I love you all.

LOL!

No probs, Your Royal Highness - a NWOBHM Fiend is a friend of the forum, no doubt!!

By the way, I think you need to thank Valanx for your Royal Title - I think he was the one that came up with that!! It's kind of stuck, hasn't it!?

Thanks for the 'Open Hand' info - I will check it out.

I'm very much the same - I try new bands and artists, yet keep going back to the classic stuff! To be honest, the only new artists that I've spent money on over the last few years are Gomez, Blaze, Placebo and Supergrass - and, to be honest, all these artists have been going for quite some time as well!!
When I do have the indecent opportunity to watch 'Top Of The Pops' I'm constantly thinking 'What the Hell!!' because I just don't get it!! Perhaps a sign of old age!!?

Anyhoo - if I was on a desert island and was restricted to my music collection, I'd probably do the same thing. I'm into so much more stuff - Rush, Floyd, Early Genesis, Queen, Bowie etc. But the New Wave Metal stuff had so much humour and emotion in it that it would win because of its variety!

I never grew up with NWOBHM. I'm only 30, and what I hate most is that I never saw any of the bands. I'm not sure that I could call Saxon NWOBHM, they were far too classy for that movement.... (Can you call Iron Maiden / Def Lepper NWOBHM?)

I never liked the material done by def lepper from that time and cant stand the band now. There was an artical in Classic Rock and that twat Joe Elliot said, "The name Saxon makes me cringe".

I'd gladly kick the shit out of that cnut for saying that....

But there were some really good bands from that era. Diamond Head did some really good stuff but there were a lot of different versions of each song. Parallex, White Spirit, Tank, Fist also released some decent material, though my favourite song from that era has to be Trespass and "One of these days". Also there was an Angelwitch song, but a while after the NWOBHM period called "Straight from Hell" - released in 1984/5 which was very dark song.

princess_of_the_night2112 said:
Am I Evil is one of Diamond Head's best songs..

Oh.......Il try and backpeddle a little here, i did actually learn the song on the guitar (wasnt hard) coz my sister used to like to sing it, that was about 10+ years ago or something when she was a really lame Metallica head.....But now shes into eminem....God this post has gone from bad to worse i best quit now whi........................

MatRattz said:
I never grew up with NWOBHM. I'm only 30, and what I hate most is that I never saw any of the bands. I'm not sure that I could call Saxon NWOBHM, they were far too classy for that movement.... (Can you call Iron Maiden / Def Lepper NWOBHM?)

I never liked the material done by def lepper from that time and cant stand the band now. There was an artical in Classic Rock and that twat Joe Elliot said, "The name Saxon makes me cringe".

I'd gladly kick the shit out of that cnut for saying that....

But there were some really good bands from that era. Diamond Head did some really good stuff but there were a lot of different versions of each song. Parallex, White Spirit, Tank, Fist also released some decent material, though my favourite song from that era has to be Trespass and "One of these days". Also there was an Angelwitch song, but a while after the NWOBHM period called "Straight from Hell" - released in 1984/5 which was very dark song.

Yeah Maiden and Leppard are NWOBHM. And no matter how classy Saxon are, they are NWOBHM! As for that tosser Elliot, he has also said in the past that Def Leppard are not heavy metal and never have been. Hmmmm strange, I seem to remember them with long hair, denim, and playing to rockers! I will gladly join you in dishing out that kicking Mattz, especially after that Saxon comment!

And I've got to agree with you about 'One Of These Days'! Even now that songs sounds fantastic! I also love 'Visionaries Dream' by Trespass.

MatRattz said:
White Spirit, Tank, Fist also released some decent material, though my favourite song from that era has to be Trespass and "One of these days". Also there was an Angelwitch song, but a while after the NWOBHM period called "Straight from Hell" - released in 1984/5 which was very dark song.

One of these Days is one of my favourite songs as well Mat - it's brilliant and I'm going to stick it on just now. Also Trespass' Stormchild is awesome, I've got them both on Metal for Muthas which is one of my fav CDs. I saw White Spirit in Glasgow along with Lionheart, both bands were amazing that night. Another of my favourite concerts would have to have been thru in Edinburgh when it was 3 bands on the bill that night - TANK, ANGEL WITCH AND GIRLSCHOOL. What a superb night that was.

valanx said:
Oh.......Il try and backpeddle a little here, i did actually learn the song on the guitar (wasnt hard) coz my sister used to like to sing it, that was about 10+ years ago or something when she was a really lame Metallica head.....But now shes into eminem....God this post has gone from bad to worse i best quit now whi........................

Hahahaha let me see you start off slagging Diamond Head, then go on to talk about Metallica and then Eminem - yes you're right I don't think you're post could have got much worse Valanx.

LOL I'm only joking, I'll let you off with slagging Diamond Head simply because you gave me such a great title, Your Royal Highness, I love it!!!! Thank you.

princess_of_the_night2112 said:
One of these Days is one of my favourite songs as well Mat - it's brilliant and I'm going to stick it on just now. Also Trespass' Stormchild is awesome, I've got them both on Metal for Muthas which is one of my fav CDs. I saw White Spirit in Glasgow along with Lionheart, both bands were amazing that night. Another of my favourite concerts would have to have been thru in Edinburgh when it was 3 bands on the bill that night - TANK, ANGEL WITCH AND GIRLSCHOOL. What a superb night that was.

Yeah Stornchild is another great track from Trespass!

Lionheart were the support band for Saxon the very first time that I saw them! It was at the Rainbow theatre in 1980.

Paxoman said:
Yeah Stornchild is another great track from Trespass!

Lionheart were the support band for Saxon the very first time that I saw them! It was at the Rainbow theatre in 1980.

Old Git.....!

I wish I'd have been born in about '63 so I could have seen some of NWOBHM, and I dont ever think there will be a movement like it in my lifetime.

Cant beat the energy, power or enthusiasm, though in all honesty there was a hell of a lot of shite around as well!!!

MatRattz said:
Old Git.....!

I'm not sure Matt he might be an old git or he might not but I saw tons of nwobhm bands and I've still got a fair bit to go before I hit 40!. We start early up here, I think I was 12 when I saw my first band and that was me hooked for life.

I am not old, just a git! :lol: I can't remember what month that Saxon gig was, so I would have been 11 or 12, so I started pretty early as well. I was a regular at my local heavy metal pub at the age of 14! But I was still a bit too young to take in all of the NWOBHM scene, gig wise at least. But did manage to get quite a few gigs.

You are right Mattz, there were a lot of dodgy bands around at the time. It was similar to the punk scene I think, where everyone was in a band! If a movement inspires a lot of people to start up bands, then I suppose that can't be a bad thing.