How Mastering Goes.

Now, you should be saving the stereo 2-track file of the whole song, without any plugins on the master buss, and making sure you aren't clipping. Then you import the single stereo file, and applied any EQ, multi-band compression, imaging etc

Yes, the whole project gets exported out as one wav file. Make sure you are exporting at the same sample rates and bit depth you recorded with. As far as the whole process goes it is really subjective. Every song dictates diffrent tools and there is no one way to master.

Mendel said:
you export THE WHOLE SONG as just 1 WAV !!!?
how would that actually help ?
wouldnt it jutbe better to exert all tracks seperetly as wavs ?

Yes the whole song. Mastering is not mixing. I repeat mastering is not mixing. Mastering is done on 1 stereo file.

Mendel said:
so you would export the whole song in just 1 wav. ?

Yes.

In recent times however, mastering has started getting a bit more blurred with mixing. What some are doing is sending stems of guitar, bass, vocals, drums so the MA can do the levels for them. To me that defeats the point of being a good mixing engineer, but whatever works I guess.

In general though, yes, mastering is performed on a stem of the entire mix. One sound file. If there are issues with individual elements that you want fixed, mastering is generally not the place to do them. Get it right in the mix.

Excellent point, Moonlapse.
If one expects the mastering dude to do double-duty and clean up some mixing issues, then, yeah, individual stems (or stem composites - eg: the "mixed guits") are what he's looking for.

Personally, I show up to the mastering session & bring everything - all my tracking & mixing paperwork/notes - so he can see exactly what I did track-by-track, song-by-song (signal chain, track levels, plugs (with settings), pans (with times), gain envelopes (with times), any X-fades, bus info, outboard fx used (with settings), yadda yadda).
I bring saves of individual stems, composite stems, and track mixes - all that shit.
Typically, he'll just gloss over the info for a minute or so, and nod in approval.

Since he's the mastering guy, he assumes I've already made my decisions on the mixing, fx, plugs & shit for the individual tracks and the song as a whole, so he isn't going to focus on that aspect ....he's just doing the final ...ummm....mastering part to the final mixed version ...good or bad heheh

However, the last thing I need is for the guy to notice something obvious I overlooked & I sit there with a fucking dumb look and say ...Soooo can you fix it? :erk:
..and he says: Yeah, if I had the source.

That's never happened yet (knock wood), but at least I can say: Yeah, what do you want.

Yeah, you're absolutely right there. A stereo imager effect, such as the Waves S1, is most often used during mastering if the mix feels and sounds too narrow. But ONLY to correct a bad mix... you can achieve the same results (only better) if you do it with volume and pan changes in the mixing process.

Actualy in your songs the guitars sound really wide.
Are you using some kind of Mid/Side technics or widening or just pan?
during mixing i mean

TheStoryteller said:
Yeah, you're absolutely right there. A stereo imager effect, such as the Waves S1, is most often used during mastering if the mix feels and sounds too narrow. But ONLY to correct a bad mix... you can achieve the same results (only better) if you do it with volume and pan changes in the mixing process.

It seems they use that method a lot in Swedish albums, most notably The Haunted's album rEVOLVEr. I don't think they did that to salvage anything :lol:

Edit:
Oh and also on Evergrey's album The Inner Circle

The guitars sound ridiculously wide on both albums, more than you could get simply by panning hard :p

I don't understand. How can you make them sound further out than the speakers are positioned? Is it about psychoacoustics and fooling our brains into thinking that they're wider than they actually are?