How much compression??

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
Whats a good ratio and threshhold on a kick and snare?? I have an idea a little bit but im just getting some other opinions
Well I usually never use compression i been sticking with the basics for now like EQing just so i dont get overwhelmed :cool:
Today i decided to try some compression on things--and im undecided a little
it fit a little more in the mix i was working on and it took away some boomyness
whats your setting if you comp a kick and/or snare??

all depends on the source (and how you want it to sound afterwards), but dont forget how much of a difference the attack and release will have on the sound
yea i noticed that also
I just aim to ge some boom out of it kinda smooth things out a bit i guess i would say

yeah compression is really hard to get to grips with- much harder than eq in my opinion.

You'll learn alot about it by really cranking the ratio and lowering the threshold to nearly max, then playing with attack and release settings, so you can hear their effects much easier, once you've got settings there you like play with the ratio and threshold.

It's impossible to sy whats good settigs without hearing them and the mix they are going into, even then its quite subjective!

boom = low end. use EQ.

yes and no???
I like the way comp kinda smooths out the low end not EQ it out
I usually slap a filter on there for some of it
I like the boom so i tame it with comp while bringing out a little slap

yeah compression is really hard to get to grips with- much harder than eq in my opinion.

You'll learn alot about it by really cranking the ratio and lowering the threshold to nearly max, then playing with attack and release settings, so you can hear their effects much easier, once you've got settings there you like play with the ratio and threshold.

Thats what i always do :heh:

well, you could take boom out of a kick with comp. just play with the attack so that you let the initial attack of the drum hit ring through, then clamp down on the boomy overtones, and release soon enough that the next hit won`t be affected