How much of a difference does a Preamp(audio interface) make on electric guitars?

Jasonmadeco

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2013
I'm wondering this because I need to produce a record this year and I am using an M-AUdio Mobile Pre USB from way back and Im wondering how much of a difference the quality, warmth and clarity of getting a better Preamp for example, a epogee duet (i think thats what its called) or an apollo or a2D...

Would I get a more professional quality? Let's stay away from analog pre amps for now as thats beyond me... in terms of budget!

thanks in advanced=!!

It won't make a noticeable difference. Work with what you have. Also learn the basics before "producing a record".

Anyone who says no I'll bet hasn't used something very high end. I think it's true most interfaces will get you 90% there, but if you want that extra 10%, a very high quality interface is what you'll need. I was told the same story when I was deciding to purchase my UA Apollo, it wouldn't make a difference. They were wrong. I can tell a BIG difference in the high end frequencies especially. Now they are much more organic and soft, much less "digital" sounding. I have a chorus on a patch and I used to dislike the sound of it pre Apollo, now it is lush and beautiful. The Apollo has made a world of difference for my recordings, and I'm not talking about the plug ins. The pure raw sound of the pres and converters.

I do agree with LBTM though about learning the basics. Mixing is an art that you'll never master. Just start working with what you have no matter what the quality of gear you have. In time you'll learn from trial and error as we all have.

Good luck!

I think Matt has it right. If you have fundamental issues with your room, amp, settings or mic placement a preamp change won't do much for you but if you are working towards the last 10% preamps and converters will come into play.

Thanks for the advice guys, I mean If i want an optimal or ideal sounding record Would it mean to step it up, to mixing inside an acoustically treated room i.e Mixing studio or something?

I mean I have a macbook pro, using logic, a bunch of waves plug ins, and a pair of HS80Ms Im recording and mixing in my bedroom which is quite furnished.. but i know there will be issues with bass traps, and the whole acoustic panels and stuff.. so im wondering if this mix I actually made the other day would be even considered good enough for a record?

this is the mix; im wondering if its just a gear issue from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to listen to your clip. As long as there isn't some sort of malfunction with your equipment, then it's all on you and your ears. I know guys that work with way less than me and shit all over my mixes.

Better pres and conversion definitely help make it easier to get to a clearer mix- but equipment only gets you so far

Once you get past half-decent audio interface pre-amps it's the law of diminishing returns as you spend more money.

More expensive ones may have more useful features (e.g variable impedance, different transformer flavours etc) but as already said, there's probably more cost-effective purchases out there.

More expensive ones may have more useful features (e.g variable impedance, different transformer flavours etc) but as already said, there's probably more cost-effective purchases out there.

+1. Especially if you plan to record guitars with it and use ampsims it doesn't worth it at all. (I've got some expensive high-end preamps and have made comparisons, I'm not just guessing). If you're recording vocals for example you could get a decent condenser mic and hear a real difference in your recordings. What's your equipment now? I bet the equipment isn't your problem. Your mix is ok but you should improve your mixing before getting more equipment.

I don't have experience with expensive stuff but here's what I've observed so far:

If you're doing ampsim VSTs it will make less of a difference, just a better DI signal that sounds more focused and in phase perfectly. I think the reason for that is because a lot of stuff happens after the interface in the box that the pres cant mess with.

For tracking amps I think the preamps are very critical. With a TASCAM interface I used to have it didn't matter how good the tone was in person or where I put the mic, it sounded bad. Then when I moved to presonus it's very acceptable sounding, good even. I imagine it goes uphill from there with even better stuff. I had to switch interfaces just because one sounded bad.

So to me, it's important.

If you want a release-quality album, why not work with someone who has released quality albums?

In theory, better pre = better signal. In practice, there are a million other variables (some to do with gear, some to do with the skill of the people involved) that will have more impact on the sound of your record. If you can't manage those to achieve a professional result, then the pre doesn't matter.

If this is more about, "what should i buy?" then for doing stuff at home, I cannot recommend the APOGEE Duet enough.

For reamping, quality converters are significant, just compare good enough interface with S/N around 110 db converters to interface with "S/N 120 db" converters, difference in noise will become obvious. Many interfaces, like mentioned MobilePre, have even worse than 110 db converters, so difference in noise can become very large, because level doubles for every 6 db.