How much 'ping/ring' do you like in your snare track?

Love it. In moderation though. If I remember correctly periphery had some nice ping going in one of their mixes.

mmm. yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think it really depends on the song/band...

+1 on the sample it with and without dampening. Then I'll record it with a bit of moongels (rings only for live use, crack is more important than ring there imo, and a ring does what it has to in most cases there). Not too dead tho, and if I want more ring in that part or in general blend in more of the ring sample.
You can get away with a lot more ring than you think, as said, the mix eats A LOT of it, but I'd rather have it a bit too much damped than have it too prominent.
Really depends on the snare though...some just sound too beautiful to not let ring all the way :lol:
The one in the "florent...." vid isn't one of those for me though...not a huge fan personally of that one.

Interesting thread. I really like the snare on that suicide silence tune!
I have a grindcore/slam production coming up. I have tried taking samples of the snare but it turns out it was way to chocked so basically it's unuseable.
any advice on what would be your go to samples for a great snare that is suited for that particular genre?