How much to charge?

Honestly... in my spot, almost every band in "hardcore scene" wants to track with the same studio. So to get one or two projects, I have to charge almost nothing, as it's my only "sale argument" as almost nobody even knows I record (started recording as a sideline in like december). I don't own every single mic I need for the recording process and everything, especially with real drums, so I work with rentals until the time I can buy some. Given that the guys want to go 100% with my work from tracking to mastering, I charge a ridiculous amount (20$ CAD) per day + rentals (they just give me back the money - rounded price ;) ), + 15$ CAD per hour or edit - mix, and mastering is a given price per song.

Seems complicated, but I made myself an Excel sheet where I just put down the number of songs, the prices of the rentals and everything, etc. At the end, the price isn't so bad, around 150$ for a single song with MIDI drums, a little less if they have more songs, a little more with real drums. A band I recorded last winter with MIDI drums, it cost them around 850$ for their 6 song EP, and this had virtually no rentals in it as we tracked with a mic I borrowed from a friend and the rest was DI + amp sims.

Next thing I really gotta buy is a better DI... Presonus instrument input isn't so great...

Folkrav said:
Honestly... in my spot, almost every band in "hardcore scene" wants to track with the same studio. So to get one or two projects, I have to charge almost nothing, as it's my only "sale argument" as almost nobody even knows I record (started recording as a sideline in like december). I don't own every single mic I need for the recording process and everything, especially with real drums, so I work with rentals until the time I can buy some. Given that the guys want to go 100% with my work from tracking to mastering, I charge a ridiculous amount (20$ CAD) per day + rentals (they just give me back the money - rounded price ;) ), + 15$ CAD per hour or edit - mix, and mastering is a given price per song.

Seems complicated, but I made myself an Excel sheet where I just put down the number of songs, the prices of the rentals and everything, etc. At the end, the price isn't so bad, around 150$ for a single song with MIDI drums, a little less if they have more songs, a little more with real drums. A band I recorded last winter with MIDI drums, it cost them around 850$ for their 6 song EP, and this had virtually no rentals in it as we tracked with a mic I borrowed from a friend and the rest was DI + amp sims.

Next thing I really gotta buy is a better DI... Presonus instrument input isn't so great...

Haha opposite situation here, the hardcore scene all record at the same studio, but it's not awesome quality. I feel like even though my mixes are more sturgisy, they'll suit these local bands more than local studios imo

Well... Here, in MY humble opinion, I feel like all the local bands in my area are starting to sound so damn generic, as I can easily spot which locals have been recorded at this studio... If it sounds good, yeah, but probably not for the big money he asks. But this is an opinion thing, as people like his sound around here, and I can't blame them - it sounds pretty good.

Still, it's hard to make a reputation out of 2-3 recordings when this guy is recording bands around here from 3-4 years ago and I just started. My only option is to be cheaper than he is, and I tend to be 2 to 3 times cheaper than him :p

The band I'm currently recording I charged them $50 for a 3 song demo. But they are really close friends and this is my first real production.

when you upgrade your gear increse the prices slightly

this is something i disagree with competely.

you should only be raising your prices when your productions get better.

a guy with very little gear making amazing sounding tracks should be charging more then a guy with alot of gear still producing average sounding tracks.

the only gear related thing (kind of) that should increase prices is the rent of the building.

my 2c

a guy with very little gear making amazing sounding tracks should be charging more then a guy with alot of gear still producing average sounding tracks.

the only gear related thing (kind of) that should increase prices is the rent of the building.

my 2c

very true .

Fandus said:

my 2c

+1

One suggestion I heard was to first charge so that you are very busy (assuming that you are breaking even or are generating a profit) and then over time increase your prices to the point that you make about the same money but aren't busy to the point where you are working 24/7.

I received a message about this from the guy I'm talking about in this post, who's on this forum too, and he's right, that sounded a bit patronizing. I just wanna give some excuses, cause as I said, his records sounds really damn good.

Being able to record myself, MYSELF wouldn't give the money out for his stuff, but I got to admit he's the one who puts out the best records around here IMO. So I then give my personnal excuses to him publicly. I just expressed myself badly - what I am is a cheap alternative for bands who don't have the money to go straight to him but still sound okay. I still have a way to go to sound as heavy as he does! :p

Well... Here, in MY humble opinion, I feel like all the local bands in my area are starting to sound so damn generic, as I can easily spot which locals have been recorded at this studio... If it sounds good, yeah, but probably not for the big money he asks. But this is an opinion thing, as people like his sound around here, and I can't blame them - it sounds pretty good.

Still, it's hard to make a reputation out of 2-3 recordings when this guy is recording bands around here from 3-4 years ago and I just started. My only option is to be cheaper than he is, and I tend to be 2 to 3 times cheaper than him :p