How to make a good sounding song at home ? /What's the procedure?

Uncle Junior

Jun 24, 2009
Slovenia
Hi! I was searching this forum and other sites for a thread that contains detailed procedure, how guys like us, make a song at home. I mean every detail from recording to finalizing/mastering.

...so if someone here likes to explain things, this should be a thread for him. I don't want you to write everything that has already been written, I would like a structured thread with links and which is based on a systematic explaining.

for example: I use Cubase, I make a new project where I add 4 mono tracks which I use to quad-track the guitars. I check the input levels before recording, the DI's are peaking at -3dB. Then I set some plugs on these four track: SoloC--->"8050 or 7170"----->boogex(s-preshigh) and use different settings for each of the two guitars. Then I record with click, pan the tracks left 100,80 - right 100, 80.

DID I FORGET SOMETHING?

After that I make another mono track for bass guitar. I do the same stuff as I did when I recorded guitars, excpet that I use different plugs like AMPEG, maybe some impulses...

I also tune my instrument for every take.

After guitars have been recorded I make drums in BFD2 and export audio tracks (24bit, 44.1kHz wave format) for every kit piece. Then I insert these audio tracks in the project where all the guitars are. I do the same with synths.

I haven't recorded any vocals yet so if someone did please explain the procedure. The same goes for recording solo guitar parts, please explain what to do....plugs, procedure...

OK, so now I have all the tracks in one project file which I'll use for further work. We have drums, guitars, vocals, synths... All of this elemets have their own audio tracks... Now to the mix i guess, I didn't mix a lot so please I need some help here too. What plugs should I use to make my mix? Plugs for drums guitars..... How to eq, should the kick be on the subwoofer or should be bass?.... you don't have to write everything, you can also paste some useful link, remember it's the procedure of making a song for start to the end in the order. I have written what I know, I read this forum a lot so... I've been making a song for almost a year and it's too slow.

Please help and thanks. :kickass:

OK

search through joey sturgis' posting history, and search for topics about kick/snare/guitar processing etc. Lots of useful info.

Wash hands to begin.

Step one: Grab wrapper by a corner by using your thumb and index finger on your left hand, apply pressure using your finger muscles in a pinching motion.
Step two: Take your right hand and using your right hand, thumb and index finger tear along the perforated line, apply pressure using your finger muscles in a pinching motion.
Step three: Using your left hand, thumb and index finger apply pressure using your finger muscles in a pinching motion to open it so that you end up with a circular opening.
Step four: Using your right hand, thumb and index finger reach into the circular opening and apply pressure using your finger muscles in a pinching motion to grab a delightful piece of Fuck off.

Wash hands to begin.

Step one: Grab wrapper by a corner by using your thumb and index finger on your left hand, apply pressure using your finger muscles in a pinching motion.
Step two: Take your right hand and using your right hand, thumb and index finger tear along the perforated line, apply pressure using your finger muscles in a pinching motion.
Step three: Using your left hand, thumb and index finger apply pressure using your finger muscles in a pinching motion to open it so that you end up with a circular opening.
Step four: Using your right hand, thumb and index finger reach into the circular opening and apply pressure using your finger muscles in a pinching motion to grab a delightful piece of Fuck off.

:lol: you win 1 internet