How to open a recording studio

Dec 3, 2011
Idk why bt my search function is being funny everytime i try and search : open a recording studio.

Anyways, was just wondering how you would go about opening a recording studio if your all set up, know what you are doing (production wise) and want to open services of mixing, tracking and digital mastering.

Regards

Tim

-word of mouth
-advertise
-collaborate with other studios
-free demos

these are some ways to get started with clients. your objective should be getting clients... once you have a lucrative service, you can turn it into a profiting company. otherwise starting a business as a recording studio can be a bit problematic if you have tons of overhead and no return.

Thanks!! i shall take it all on board:) How should I go about collaborating with other studios?:)

Anymore ideas guys:D

Thanks!

Tim

Yep. I did all those things when I started. First band I recorded was my brother's band for free, and from there bands started coming to me. So word of mouth is maybe the biggest thing. I also made a Facebook and twitter that I don't really get on anymore haha.

How should I go about collaborating with other studios?

you would bug them and ask if they have any work overflow they might be willing to toss your way and you can pay them a 10% finder's fee.

it's done quite a bit now... and most studios are pretty cool about it (depending on where you live).

the idea is you can make friends with studios in your area... specifically so that they know who you are. then, in the future they might approach you with more work... sometimes people have a lot of work they cannot commit to and would be willing to delegate for a profit.

you just need to be smart about your terms and make sure they know they are only entitled to a finder's fee.

The thing is, In my area there aren't really , good studios. I'm in no way a cocky/arrogant person but though some studios have the gear, they do not produce great results. I do believe that I produce things that are, much better than the studios here, so thats why majority of australian bands, go overseas for their recordings and all. Dream On Dreamer, Hands Like Houses, House vs Hurricane etc etc. I actually thought being in Western Australia, where theres a lack of "professional" studios, it'd be easier to make a name. Do you think bigger, US studios would give you a shot at the bands who mail in and the studio has no time to do, so they go on the "ignored" list?

Regards

Tim

possibly... but the last person you should be asking is me and the first people you should be asking is them.

it may come off as annoying ...but it never hurts to ask.

Another thing that's helped me (only done it twice though) is to collab with a show promoter. They do a show where whichever band gets the most draws gets a free day at your studio. Then since those shows bring huge draws, you get a cut that comes out to how much you'd charge the bands anyways, and every band there now knows about your studio. Everyone wins, except the "fans" haha.

Getting clients is one thing. Opening a full-blown recording studio, even a small one, has a lot of other factors you need to consider.

1) You need a solid business plan.
Sales projections, profitability calculations, budget plans. Be optimistic. If you're not sure about your plan, no-one will buy it. Get an expert to help you here unless you're willing to do some proper research on the subject.
2) You need funding.
Commercial properties can be expensive to purchase, rent and/or keep running. Building the studio itself requires money. Lots of it. To get funding, you need that solid business plan you wrote. Otherwise they'll laugh at your face at the bank. In fact, they will probably do that anyway, since starting a recording studio from the ground-up isn't exactly a gold mine these days. Prepare to be convincing and persistent as hell even if you're constantly turned down.
3) You need to take care of the bureaucracy.
Zoning laws. Commercial facility building requirements. Compulsory insurances. Taxing. Accounting. Running a business is an endless jungle of bureaucratic bullshit. Again, get an expert to help you here.
4) You need to be realistic.
Do you honestly believe you will be able to turn the investment into profit? How long will it take? Are you sure you have charted all the expenses? Are you ready to lose sleep and eat macaroni for the next two years to keep the business running?
5) You need a plan B.
What if you fail? Can you still handle the debt or is the financial side of your life ruined forever? How are you going to keep yourself busy and pay the rent when the studio has five weeks of sudden downtime? Can you pick some extra hours at a local construction site? Do you have a degree that can get you work in a different field?

I might sound pessimistic and bitter, but I've been where you are now and spent a good couple of years scouting for buildings, talking with investors, trying to convince the bank, writing business plans, asking for help, spending many a sleepless night rolling in bed and thinking over some details that might make or break the plan. In the end, I came to the conclusion that starting a medium-sized recording studio from the ground-up is a complete financial suicide. That's pretty much what the investors were telling me from day one, and after all that work I had done I just had to accept it.

Instead, I went the post production route. Much smaller debt, much smaller financial risk, much smaller overhead.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. But if you do, you can't be just an audio enthusiast with a burning passion for your work. You need to be a solid business man as well.

Whatever you decide, I wish you best of luck! :)

HOW TO OPEN A RECORDING STUDIO:

first%20studio.jpg

troll.png

Thanks for the advice!
Why building rent when my workstation is at home though?
Just wondering,

You have enough space in your house for a live room? Have you checked with the local authorities if it's legal to use your house as a commercial facility? Or did you just completely misuse the term 'recording studio' when in fact you meant what Tim just posted above?

Ok, I just noticed you're fifteen. Give it time. Get yourself an education, learn your craft on the side. Keep it as a hobby for a few more years. You've already got a head start considering your age, so use it to your advantage and get awesome at what you do. I'm not familiar with Australian laws, but around here you would be barely old enough to start a business, but as a minor you still couldn't sign any contracts without your parents (AFAIK), and I'd imagine there are similar restrictions over there as well.

Ok, I just noticed you're fifteen. Give it time. Get yourself an education, learn your craft on the side. Keep it as a hobby for a few more years. You've already got a head start considering your age, so use it to your advantage and get awesome at what you do. I'm not familiar with Australian laws, but around here you would be barely old enough to start a business, but as a minor you still couldn't sign any contracts without your parents (AFAIK), and I'd imagine there are similar restrictions over there as well.

+1

haha:p Well, sort of what Tim posted, but with purchased stuff. Just wanted to be able to mix and master peoples work.

Sorry for the misuse of "recording studio"

Tim