How much does studio recording cost?

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
How much does studio recording cost? It seems Audacity isn't going to cut it much longer in recording for my death metal band and I'm going to need some polished quality production. So next year if I have enough money I'm thinking about buying me some studio time. How was your experience recording in a studio?

You might want to consider other options, like spending that money to buy an actual drumkit or something first.

i wouldn't recommend going straight to the studio. the guitarist i'm jammin with now has done studio work and said it averaged 7 hours per song. unless you can play songs perfectly in the first or second try, its going to take a while and cost out the ass. what i use is the Fostex VF160EX 16 Track.
Features:

* Internal 40GB E-IDE Maxtor hard drive
* Built-in CDR drive
* Total of 16 tracks
* 8 virtual track
* 40GB hard disk
* 8 mic inputs
* ADAT optical I/O
* Fader Pairing
* Mastering Effects
* Channel Solo
* BPM delays 2 - XLR channel ins; 2 - 1/4" TRS send/return; ADAT; S/PDIF; MIDI; 2 - 1/4" monitor jacks; 1/4" stereo headphone jack; 1/4" jack - AUX send (TIP: send 1/RING: send 2); RCA out (L, R); 1/4" footswitch jack
* 60mm faders for all 16 channels
* 3-band EQ with parametric mid and hig
* Master EQ
* Channel and master compressors
* 2 effect sends and 2 aux sends per channel
* 99 mix scene memory

its cheaper than the studio and you can do everything yourself.

have you gotten a metronome yet?

I've been thinking about getting something along those lines myself. But that thing is fucking pricey.

For a mere $100 you can get a kickass cassette 4-track recorder that can churn out some premiere, high-quality lo-fi stuff.

You can also look for guys who will record and produce for you on one of those expensive Fostex type things for a very low price.

Rob "Klister";7095115 said:
@v5 what do you use to record your noise project?

Electronics > Behringer UB1002 Xenyx (mixer) > 320 kbps mp3 on my Laptop, then I edit from there. Mixing is done during the process of recording (my recordings are spontaneous/improvised usually, but I edit them afterwards to maximize the good stuff and minimize the bad).

You can also look for guys who will record and produce for you on one of those expensive Fostex type things for a very low price.
This is a pretty good option if you have a practice space with acoustics you like. This still runs a few hundred bucks for a weekend or so, but it's cheaper than studio more likely. Of course, it might be hard to find a guy who knows metal who will do this for you in Bumfuck, TN.

i was messin around with noise a while ago. when i did it through the vf-160 it had a hollow quality to it that annoyed me to no end. its like something was missing. then i tried it through a fostex 280 tape recorder and it was much warmer. analog ftmfw. haven't done anything through a computer though.

Rob "Klister";7094115 said:
i wouldn't recommend going straight to the studio. the guitarist i'm jammin with now has done studio work and said it averaged 7 hours per song. unless you can play songs perfectly in the first or second try, its going to take a while and cost out the ass. what i use is the Fostex VF160EX 16 Track.
Features:

* Internal 40GB E-IDE Maxtor hard drive
* Built-in CDR drive
* Total of 16 tracks
* 8 virtual track
* 40GB hard disk
* 8 mic inputs
* ADAT optical I/O
* Fader Pairing
* Mastering Effects
* Channel Solo
* BPM delays 2 - XLR channel ins; 2 - 1/4" TRS send/return; ADAT; S/PDIF; MIDI; 2 - 1/4" monitor jacks; 1/4" stereo headphone jack; 1/4" jack - AUX send (TIP: send 1/RING: send 2); RCA out (L, R); 1/4" footswitch jack
* 60mm faders for all 16 channels
* 3-band EQ with parametric mid and hig
* Master EQ
* Channel and master compressors
* 2 effect sends and 2 aux sends per channel
* 99 mix scene memory

its cheaper than the studio and you can do everything yourself.

have you gotten a metronome yet?
I have one but I never use it and it's somewhere around the house, it's only in 4/4/3/4 type time though. How much could I get that whole set-up for?

Rob "Klister";7095250 said:
i was messin around with noise a while ago. when i did it through the vf-160 it had a hollow quality to it that annoyed me to no end. its like something was missing. then i tried it through a fostex 280 tape recorder and it was much warmer. analog ftmfw. haven't done anything through a computer though.

If you go through a mixer first (preferably a Behringer, as they are cheap and work well) you should get a nice sound.

I have one but I never use it and it's somewhere around the house, it's only in 4/4/3/4 type time though. How much could I get that whole set-up for?

the VF160 is 800 plus tax. the newer model MR16HD/CD is only 600 with cd burner. it worth the cash with all the shit you can do with it.

it doesn't matter what kind of metronome it is. you need to use it. if you cant keep a solid time then nothing will line up between tracks. then when you listen to it the sways in timing will be painfully obvious.

if you really want to go to a studio you should just practice and make sure you have the songs down really well and just do it. my band did that and we rented a studio out for 2 days (around 8 hours a day or a little bit more) with a sound engineer guy with protools and all and it was really fun. in total we got 5 songs done (not everyone had the songs down perfectly so a lot of takes were redone and such) and it cost us about 600 dollars but split among band members its not that bad, if you're interested in how it turned out we have songs up on our myspace (www.myspace.com/invectionmetal) even though i could probably get guitar tone that good at home, having a full studio with tons and tons of drum mics and a guy doing all the sound really helped and sounded better in the end.