How was your first contact with Metal?

Sep 9, 2003
São Paulo, Brasil
Visit site
Well, I started listening to some Hard Rock in the end of 1983. In 1984 I bought my very first Hard Rock album, "Van Halen's 1984". At that time our TV was always airing Metal video clips and when I saw for the first time the video clip of Power And The Glory, I simply loved it! Then I bought the Power And The Glory album, which was in fact, my FIRST HEAVY METAL ALBUM!!!!. The other bands I bought in the same year were Scorpions, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Ozzy Osbourne. Of course, then many others came. Today I can say for sure, that my top bands are (in no particular order):

Scorpions
Judas Priest
Saxon
Ozzy Osbourne
Accept
UFO
The Michael Schenker Group
U.D.O.

What about you people? :cool:

That's a fine list of bands, but i was wondering if ZZ Top may of been of some influence also?

Nice topic of discussion, Mr Lion!

My moment of initiation was when I was 10 years old. I met a person at school who was to become the drummer of the band we formed together and my best friend.
At the time, he was a huge Queen fan and we listened to his sister's Queen collection all the time. He went on to become a nut for The Who and The Jam, and I simply fell in love with the album Queen II!!
I would say that Queen II was a Heavy Metal album - there's alot of Sabbath influence on there, as well as Yes and The Beach Boys!!
I then had the privledge of receiving the contents of another mate's older brother's record collection (can't remember why now!). In the collection there was a couple of AC/DC 7" singles, a 666 7" Maiden single, Master Of Reality (Sabbath), Led Zepp 4, and a 7" of Wheels Of Steel!!

And the rest, as they say, is history!!!

I'll give youse all a good laugh and tell you the sort of music I was into before I finally found myself on the road to rock!!!!!! Well first of all I used to like Donna Summer :oops: and also Dianna Ross & The Supremes :oops: :oops: then I screwed the nut a bit and got into a wee bit of punk, which I still quite like, but I was never really a hardcore fan. I think I was around about 12 or so when I heard Rush 2112 and I utterly hated it the first time I heard it, actually begged them to turn it off!!!!!! However about a year later I heard it again and totally thought it was sensational and that was me hooked right into Rush and I still think they're the best band on earth, with Saxon a close second obviously. My first concert I went to was Dire Straits and though they're not like heavy metal/heavy rock, they were still great live. I've still got their first 2 albums but never listen to them anymore, although it's good when you hear hear Sultans, Lady Writer etc on radio. My next concert after Straits was Whitesnake and that resulted in me being a fully fledged member of the rock world - yeehaaa!!!

Favourite bands, I've got loads, so here's my wee list:-

1. RUSH
2. BUDGIE
3. SABBATH
4. AC/DC
5. ZEPPELIN
6. FLOYD
7. DIAMOND HEAD
8. SAXON
9. GIRLSCHOOL
10. ANGEL WITCH
11. KROKUS
12. SCORPIONS
13. UFO
14. GREAT WHITE

These are my favourites but I worship a big load more.

You missed "JUDAS PRIEST" from your little list there my Royal friend!!!
Mind you even putting the name Judas Priest in the same post as names like Donna Summer, Dianna Ross & The Supremes would of brought your sanity into question for sure! You were indeed wise to leave the Priest out!! lol

Anyway, it all started for me when i was a youngling with AC/DC my dad used to bounce me on his knee to the powerage LP so when i was a few years older i naturally liked AC/DC from there...Priest, Saxon, Leppard, Maiden, GnR etc.

Some of my favourite bands at this point in time be:

Judas Priest
Saxon
Testament
Slayer
Rammstein
Immortal
Ratt
Pain
Type o Negative
AC/DC
Amon Amarth
Arch Enemy
Dimmu Borgir
Emperor
Mortiis
Norther
Nightwish
Alice Cooper
Def Leppard (lol)
Guns N Roses
Nirvana
Creed
Fear Factory
KoRn
Clawfinger
Accept
UDO
Edguy
Stonehenge
Masterplan
My dying bride
Lacuna Coil
Machine Head
The 69 eYes

Prolly a few more i cant think of right now also.

My first gig was....................

Adam and the Ants circa 1981/82

Then a few punk gigs, Damned, Killing Joke and Stiff Little Fingers.

Then whilst on Holiday at my cousins in Anglesey August 84, I was asked if I fancied popping down to Donington for the day.

So there I am at the 5th Anniversary Monsters of Rock Festival with the following bill:

Motley Crue
Y&T
Accept
Ozzy
Van Halen
AC / DC

From there it was METAL all the way, mixed with a few punk gigs.

Fav Bands:

Saxon
Maiden
Motorhead
Killing Joke
Motley Crue
Arch Enemy
Stiff Little Fingers
Machine Head

To name just a few!

first show...

1981, San Antonio, Denim and Leather tour...

Saxon opened for Molly Hatchet and I have been a Saxon fan ever since...

-Imp

Thin Lizzy was the first band that really got me into rock saw them think it was 83 at scarborough, Then i got listening to AC/DC who became me fav band for a bit and are still prob in me top five.

The first saxon album i heard like a lot of people was wheels of steel then i was hooked on saxons music. And saxon have been me fav band now for almost 25 years and if Lionheart album is anything to go bye then saxon have got a great run in just hope its a long run in to come.

Well, the first Metal gig I saw was "Uncle" Alice Cooper in 198something ;) .

SAXON followed at little later ... I think it was the "Bombers & Eagles" tour, together with mighty Motörhead.

Since then, I have seen more than 20 SAXON shows (the last one at BYH 2005) and I am now looking forward to see the guys again next September in Hamburg, Berlin, Bochum, Holland and Belgium ! :headbang:

Carry on ! :wave: