How's my drum mix (and toms - tuning or mixing?)?

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hi there, first post, but I've been looking at the forums for a while.

I'm recording a demo/EP for my band. Through a LONG series of unfortunate events (including winning a recording session at school, with lots of decent mics, only to have the only person who knows how to use the software leave, and all the decent mics being stolen, leaving only Ashtons and a ton of AKG C1000's...not great for close-mic'ing drums), I've programmed my drums on midi and sampled my own drums and am using Drumagog to replace them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1omzdbbwtda

Here's a short sample of my drums at the moment:
Order you hear:
12" Tom (SM57, unprocessed)
13" Tom (SM57, unprocessed)
16" Tom (SM57, also have Beta52 clips but were too boomy, unprocessed)
Snare (processed, 3 mic's mixed)
Snare Top (SM57 processed)
Snare Bot (Beta52processed)
Snare Overheads (AKG C1000's; only a single EQ cut at about 250Hz)
Mix of kick (Best Kick on Earth with a gate to remove a squeaky pedal and reverb to make it gel better), overheads (AKG C1000's; slightly compressed and VERY roughly EQ'd) and Snare

This is my first mix that has all individual drums.. others have been just overhead/kick or only snare/kick, etc.
My main concerns are that my toms are too boingy, they sound fine from the driver's seat but they aren't working through the mics and in the mix. Is this the mixing or the tuning to blame? The tuning is about to where they sound good on the batter and a little higher on the bottom. I'd like to get a thud, but still retain some resonance (Opeth's Watershed's has AMAZING toms). I know I'm dreaming a bit here..I'm using Pearl Exports with pinstripes.
Do you think my crashes are too soft in the mix? I'm using 14" and 16" crashes, simply because I've liked their sound better than bigger ones, and they've been loud enough, except that I recently replaced my hi-hat bottom, making them insanely loud (Z Dynobeat Top over a Paiste Dark Crisp bottom).
And how do you think my snare mix is? Its a 14" Pearl Brass Freefloater, so its a damn good snare. It has a Coated Controlled Sound over an Amb.
I've pretty much given up on using my own kick, can't get it sounding decent, sampling seems to work well.

If you've got any tips I'd love to hear them. If it matters I'm using Sonar 6 Producer's Edition, running through a Line 6 Toneport UX2 (I'm still in school and am on an insanely tight budget ;p). For guitars and bass we're using a Line6 PodX3 Live (I think it's main benefit over the XT is that it allows 2 amps at once), which is absolutely killer, allows amazing sound, especially compared to what we had before.