hows this for a DAW pc?

well the internal drives are usually the same drives as what is in the FW cases. I'm really surprised you were having problems. Alot of edits??? Yep must be a mac thing, I'm calling Murphy for back up here, he'll sort you lot out! This is my forum so I'm right godamit!!!

Yeah but FW has a lower transfer rate than internal drives, sure the actual drive will access the data at the same speed but it has to get it to the computer too.

And not there was exactly 0 edits, this was right when i started mixing, no plug ins on any tracks either.

yeah i realise about transfer rates, I'm running firewire 400's with upto 50 tracks maybe more and a shit load of edits no problem, that's why I'm surprised. It certainly seems as good as the old scsi drives which were upto 10000rpm.

Impy said:
I've got a FW800 drive, 160GB 7200 rpm, the last project i mixed i had to put some tracks on a different drive because the FW drive wouldn't keep up, it was about 35-40 tracks...
I haven't had that happen with internal drives ever.

Do you mean the lacie d2 fw 800, 7200 rpm, 160 gb, triple interface disk ?

mine works flawlessly through fw 800 , with 42 tracks in nuendo, no plug ins, using asio4all and my crappy onboard soundcard in my laptop pc.

Andy Sneap said:
yeah i realise about transfer rates, I'm running firewire 400's with upto 50 tracks maybe more and a shit load of edits no problem, that's why I'm surprised. It certainly seems as good as the old scsi drives which were upto 10000rpm.

Hmm, that IS strange.
I've been having doubts lately about this computer, currently i'm on a PB 1.5GHz and i can't say i'm overly excited about it, i want my G4 tower back. It seems sometimes that things on the 400 port interferes with things on the 800 port. That would be a problem since my MOTU is in the 400 port...
Whatever it is that's causing it it does sound a bit odd that i can only get 40 tracks out of it.

_RiseInside_ said:
Do you mean the lacie d2 fw 800, 7200 rpm, 160 gb, triple interface disk ?

mine works flawlessly through fw 800 , with 42 tracks in nuendo, no plug ins, using asio4all and my crappy onboard soundcard in my laptop pc.

Nah, it's a case called ALU with a seagate drive in it.

Seizure. said:
i heard some story's on AMD yeah, if i can get better i will probably go for something like a Intel Pentium4 3.0GHz FSB800 (1Mb cache) (with motherboard offcourse..)

If by "stories" you mean that heating thing, the stories you've heard about AMD are some 4-5 years old, so forget about them... Athlon64 is the way to go, plus Pentiums aren't any cooler than Athlons these days. I even think I saw at Tom's Hardware that the hottest PC CPU available is an Intel, so... ;)
Anyway, if you decide to go with AMD, I'd recommend an nForce (3 or 4, depends on the socket) chipset based board, the best for AMD there is.

Windows XP (especially SP2) had some troubles with the FW800, which was in fact going slowlier than the FW400. Microsoft has a patch for it... FW is better than USB because the flow is continuous, so FW400 is much more reliable than USB2 even if it's supposed to be slightly slower.

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Windows XP (especially SP2) had some troubles with the FW800, which was in fact going slowlier than the FW400. Microsoft has a patch for it... FW is better than USB because the flow is continuous, so FW400 is much more reliable than USB2 even if it's supposed to be slightly slower.

I got it now Brett!
So have I to buy a FW drive? uh well at the moment my USB 2.0 is good