Hows this for a starting setup?

Sep 12, 2008
My friend gave a computer desk with a 6-space rack recently, he bought it off of musiciansfriend a while ago and hasn't used it, so now it's mine! I'm trying to decide what I'll put on the rack. First, I should probably describe what I need to be able to do and what I already have.

I sequence my drums, so I won't need anything for that. I just need things to do guitar, bass, and vocals.

I run my guitars directly into my sound card using my Line 6 Spider II 150-watt head. The direct out the head has on the front corrects impedance issues, but it also means I can't use impulses because the direct out works like an active DI-box. It doesn't do a very good job either. It sounds alright after a BBE sonic maximizer, heavy EQing, and a multi-band compressor to fix some problems with the lows, but I wouldn't need as much of that if I had a preamp or a passive DI-box so I could run the power amp lead into my PC and then use some impulses.

I was thinking of buying the ART TPS II. It would function like a DI-box for guitar/bass and serve as a preamp for my SM-57(acoustic guitar and vocals.) Plus, it's a tube preamp and it's pretty cheap. I could use it to mic up my amp too, but the Line 6 4x12 cabs aren't so good and neither are the acoustics in my room.

I want a rackmount EQ too. It would just make things a little simpler. I prefer to do as much of the signal processing as I can before I even record. It makes mixing simpler for me. I want an ART 355 Dual Channel 31-Band EQ. It's a standard 31-band EQ with a nice price tag. I won't settle for just 15 bands--that's not enough control.

Of course I'll want a compressor/limiter/noise gate as well. I was looking at the Alesis 3630 Dual-Channel Compressor/Limiter with Gate. It does all of the basic stuff, it's cheap, and it's gotten nothing but positive reviews. I think it'll do just fine.

That fills 5 rack spaces with a power conditioner. Maybe eventually I'll get a rackmount sonic maximizer, but I don't really need it since I already have the VST plugin. I'm trying to keep it inexpensive. I can put together the setup above with $470, and I wanted to spend ~$500 so I'm just at my limit.

I have Reaper for a DAW, and Abelton Live for drums and other instruments. As far as VST plugins, I have: The BBE Sonic Maximizer(fucking great for guitar btw,) ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2, a 10-band GEQ and several parametric EQs, several compressors(multiband and normal,) keFIR, and YouWaShock!. I know a rack seems redundant when I have everything I need in plugins, but it will save me a lot of time and I've already got the desk, so why not make good use of the rack? :p

I mean, with the rack I would just need keFIR possibly followed by an EQ plugin in my DAW when recording my guitars. There's the often debated-over differences between analog and digtial too...

Yes? No? Suggestions?

Forget the 3630.. Get a DBX.

The compression you'll get from the 3630 is no better than ITB compression, so you'd be wasting money for a piece of gear which introduces noise.

The lower DBX stuff however, get a lot more professional positive reviews.

I'm speaking from when I've asked around, and I got told ^^^^

Either that or get an RNC, that's what I settled for.

Forget the 3630.. Get a DBX.

The compression you'll get from the 3630 is no better than ITB compression, so you'd be wasting money for a piece of gear which introduces noise.

The lower DBX stuff however, get a lot more professional positive reviews.

I'm speaking from when I've asked around, and I got told ^^^^

Either that or get an RNC, that's what I settled for.
Hah, see that's the kind information I need. I know how to use a compressor and I understand most aspects of it, but I don't have much experience with hardware compressors. I'll definitely look into DBX compressors.

if you do decide to get the A.R.T. tps change the tubes in it..you'll be surprised at the results

i'd say fuck the TPS, and get the MPA gold...a little more money, but well worth it. it's a pretty decent sounding and versatile preamp, and it has a pretty damn good DI in it.

i'd also agree with the notion of snagging a DBX 160 or RNC over the 3630

also, if i were in your shoes i would skip on the outboard EQ....but that being said, if you REALLY want an outboard EQ, i would track down some sort of decent parametric unit over a graphic.

i'd also agree with the notion of snagging a DBX 160 or RNC over the 3630

also, if i were in your shoes i would skip on the outboard EQ....but that being said, if you REALLY want an outboard EQ, i would track down some sort of decent parametric unit over a graphic.

i agree on this dbx 160x is nasty of drums and vocals.................

NOS Telefunkens if you can afford them. Either that or Mullard 12at7's. Those always come up when discussing the ART. Another great choice is the JAN 5751, amazing tube for very little outlay. I actually just bought one for my Fireball and the difference it made was incredible. A great all-rounder.

If you want a Channel Strip type layout just buy the ART Pro Channel, same preamp as the MPA Gold and a killer (mono) Compressor from the Pro VLA. EQ section is 'ok' but its there if you need it. Nice price too, it's only £250 here in the UK.

Hah, see that's the kind information I need. I know how to use a compressor and I understand most aspects of it, but I don't have much experience with hardware compressors. I'll definitely look into DBX compressors.

Try and get the model up from the 166Xl, and get the 266XL.

Tool used it for their live shows, and a lot of people use them in the studio (lower end, naturally).. so, they seem to be great for the price.

Either that, or get the RNC. It's a really tasty piece of gear.