Hows this guitar tone? od808, 6505, marshall cab

This is a band I'm just mixing, they tracked themselves. The guys dont really have a lot of experience with tracking so some of the stuff I recieved was a bit weird to say the least.....

pretty much everything was clipping, I had to get them to redo the bass and vocals. The bass in this one is the old bass which won't be staying in the mix.

the guitar DI's had a ton of low end in them, you'll hear in this tone that there is loads of bass. I actually used a multiband comp on the DI's before sending them out to tame them a little bit. really does show how the guitar and player dictates the tone.

levels still need fixing etc, this is an early rough mix

The Day Will Come

hmm, interesting then that i am not the only one with huge bass in my DI guitars. what pickups are they using? know what interface they were recording into?

i think you've done a good job with this tone, but it's exhibiting the same things in my tones which i find annoying, still.

the song is pretty good! you've done a really good job!

it may be worth trying quite an agressive hi-pass before going into the amp?

thanks,

nice mixing. its mastered a little too hot for my taste though.

also the programmed drums could use some more realism, especially the trash hihat / spock thingy ;-)

keep up the great work, ed!

How do you guys program your drums so they sound so real?
I just write my drum midi's in guitar pro and export them from there, whats a better way of doing it?

the band did all the midi for this one - i just randomized the velocities a bit really and left it at that. i actually heard a demo of this song where it had live drums and the drummer played pretty much the same fills and beats so im guessing having something the drummer plays always helps.

links are updated with a newer version.

are the guitars sounding good enough?

the band did all the midi for this one - i just randomized the velocities a bit really and left it at that. i actually heard a demo of this song where it had live drums and the drummer played pretty much the same fills and beats so im guessing having something the drummer plays always helps.

links are updated with a newer version.

are the guitars sounding good enough?
I thought it was great all around.

So the drummer is using a electronic drum kit or triggered kit or something? I understand now I think.

cheers guys

the china is one of the ones from s2.0 on the avatar studio, cant remember which one for sure though....

i agree with the guitars definition, I think its down to the huge amounts of bass in the DI's and having to deal with them.....

cheers!
guitars sound weird for now, maybe try curve EQ with spectrum from good sounding DI's, this can help SOMETIMES with DI's with too much low end, and never works with fizzy DI's ;P