Hum/buzz problem that I can't figure out... (HELP!)

Punkyskunky

Engineer at Brett Brothers Studio
Mar 8, 2014
Turkey
www.thomasbrettmixing.com
Hey guys,

So this week I've been helping a guitarist friend set up a basic home studio from scratch with a bunch of new gear, but we've encountered a problem that we can't seem to solve...

New Gear:

- 15inch MacBook Pro Retina with 16GB Ram
- Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
- Shure SM7
- Rode NT1A
- Audio Technica ATH-M50X Headphones
- 5 Fender California instrument cables

When we plug my friend's Schecter Blackjack Atx C1 (with active Pickups) into the input on the back of the Scarlett at set it to Lo Z then there's very little noise (as much as should be expected from a cheap interface like the Scarlett) and is the noise is only hitting -90dB on my meter in reaper.

But if we plug in his American Standard Stratocaster (passive pickups) into the same input and set it to Hi Z then there's absolutely tons of Low Hum and high pitched buzz (-40 on the meter).

If I plug in his Old Ibanez acoustic into the instrument input on the front of the Scarlett then there's even MORE hum and buzz on that...

(IN BOTH OF THESE EXAMPLES PROPER GAIN STAGING HAS BEEN APPLIED)

I've tried absolutely every solution I can think of:

- Replaced the instrument cable, Hum still there...
- Tried the Strat and the Acoustic through my friend's mixer to see if the instruments were the problem, no noise or hum.
- Replaced the power supply of the Scarlett, Hum still there..
- Replaced the USB-2 cable of the Scarlett, Hum still there...
- Reinstalled the drivers for the Scarlett, Hum still there...
- Tried the Scarlett with a different power outlet, tried it at somebody elses house, Hum still there...
- Tried a DI box (Radial J48) between the Strat and the Scarlett, Hum still there...

Basically I've tried everything I can think of and I'm still no closer to solving this problem.

The thing that's confusing me the most is that there's no noise/hum when using the Schecter but there's tons on the Strat and the Acoustic...

Anyway...

If any of you guys have any suggestions as to what might be causing my dilemma then they would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks.

Thomas Brett.

PS: My friend lives in Turkey and the electricity here is really dodgy (bad), could that be causing the problem somehow???

Is it plugged into a grounded outlet?

Another thing to consider is the other electronics on the same circuit. I used to play in a room with faders on the overhead lights and they caused terrible hum unless they were off.

Thanks for your reply.

I've already tried turning of all other electronics/lights and the hum is still there...

About the grounded outlet thing you said, in Turkey the wall sockets use the two pronged plugs... I don't know much about electricity so I asked an electrician friend if that could be causing the problem, he said that usually the electricians who do the wiring when buildings are being constructed do a very poor job and make a lot of mistakes, and a lot of the time the power isn't grounded properly.

If this is indeed the cause of the hum, then do you have any suggestions on how I could get around this problem? Or a piece of gear I could buy to eliminate it?

Thanks.

Thomas Brett.

Passive pickups (especially single coils) will be noisier than active pickups. Try a noise gate pedal or plugin. (I use Reagate on Reaper.)