Human Fortress

Eagle

Raging Heathen!
Sep 10, 2002
Northern Shores Of The Humber
Visit site
As some of you may know my favourite band at this year's WOA was Human Fortress. IMO they do have some similarities to Power Quest so I thought I'd put this thread up.

Anyway they have a new album titled 'DEFENDERS OF THE CROWN' coming out this Monday and here is what Guitarist Torsten Wolf says about it:

Knights in Shining Armour

...a midtempo song based on a very heavy riff and strong vocal lines. Besides it is a short track with an unbelievable chorus and a fat choir in the background. It will definetely be the heaviest track on the album! The song reminds me a little bit of Manowar and Dio but finally with a celtic influence in it.

Defender of the crown

...an absolutely epic one; the lyrical topic is about the „Richard - the Lionheart“ theme and about the Christian Crusades in the 11th century. It is also a midtempo –song but once again with a great hymn chorus and a beautiful two guitar melody in the middle of the song. Pure headbanger stuff! It reminds me a bit of Running Wild meets Iron Maiden.

Collosseum

...a short latin song with a bombastic feeling. Without guitars but with flourish of trumpets,violins and kettle – drums.
It makes the listener feel like being in a big roman arena 2000 years ago!

Gladiator

...a fast track, much faster than „The Dragon´s lair“ and much harder. It is based on a fast heavy –metal riff, virtous drums and once again on a very dramatic vocal line. Something between a speed and heavy song, hard to describe... but nevertheless an epic one with the lyrical topic of “bloody fights between warriors“ inside a roman arena. It reminds me a bit of Iron Maiden or Edguy.

Holy Grail mine

...we always considered that song as the bonus- track of the new album. But the song evolved during the studio sessions to a strong one. Don´t smile when you hear it.... it is a faster midtempo song with a clear Iron Maiden „Fear of the dark“ tune...hehehe. We don´t hesitate stealing ideas from our masters...
The first song on this album without the use of keyboards but the chorus is absolute hell once again.......agressive but dreamlike. It reminds me a lot of Iron Maiden and once again Edguy.

We border raid

...the first total epic song on this album. A slower one with heavy guitars and definetely no ballad. It has a completely medieval influence, fat choirs, violins and some medieval flutes. Some say it has a Rhapsody – touch, I personally don´t think so. It is a traditional HF – song for those who love the title track of LOEAHH.
It reminds me of Running Wild and a the vocals of Symphony X.

Siege Tower

...the first song of us without the intense power of heavy guitars. Tommy Newton said: „a song that reminds him of walking through a medieval market 500 years ago... Medieval elements are combined with Irish folk and a singing style of a medieval “Bard“. Brilliant tribal and percussion drum –work of Laki, our drummer. A slow song with a fantastic medieval feeling. It reminds me a lot of Blind Guardian and Bruce Dickinson (solo artist).

Schattentor

...a german title for a song? Yes, why not! And here we present one of our most melancholic songs ever. And a groovy one, indeed! Midtempo again, with one of the best chorus HF ever written! A song based on the influence of our gods Iron Maiden but quite more modern with deep guitars and dragging drums. Strongly recommended for creating a sad atmosphere!!.

Skin & feather

...a fast straight forward song, very vocal- orientated, classical and heavy. A song written in a few hours, pure improvisation. Fast, hard and scratchy vocals in the tradition of Manowar and Grave Digger. A good chorus with a fat choir! A pure True Metal –song without bombastic tunes!

Mortal ´s Sinful Wrath

Hell.... do we really need a bonus song? This song is strong enough to get on the new album. One of fastest speed songs and a really, really brilliant melodic chorus. Fans of Avantasia should like this song. We are not quite sure if this will be the bonus song. Honestly, we are not the masters of speed –songs like Edguy or Stratovarius. Our strength is writing epic midtempo material. Let´s see what will happen with this one

Sacral Fire

...the fastest Power-Metal song of HF ever. It starts with a killer –oldschool –Metal riff and it ends in a speed chorus with fat choirs and a brilliant melody. The only non- melancholic song on this album. A really heavy song for pure headbanging, with high pitched vocals and extreme fast drums... perfect for fans of Dio, Edguy and Gamma Ray.

The Valiant

...we know what songs we can write best.... in our opinion a good example is the last song of the album. Pure epic, dramatic and full of passion and melancholy. A midtempo –song and a hymn like chorus. The keyboards are full of beauty and tragedy. Fans of LOEAHH should love this one, no other way! We surely will continue writing such emotional and epic songs in the next years.

Bloody Masquerade

...also very simple and song –orientated. No experiments, just straight and raw. A beautiful verse –melody and a “Judas –Priest“ – like chorus. Can we call this song Heavy Metal? Yes, I think so...
It reminds me a lot of Judas Priest and Manowar.

I was fortunate enough to hear some of this album live and I was very impressed (Thus I've posted this review). Anyway I've pre-ordered this album from www.amazon.de and I'll post some kind of proper review when it arrives. I also highly recommend their debut album Lord of Earth & Heavens Heir

For more information you can visit their homepage on www.human-fortress.com

Enjoy

Glyn

Yeah, I've been a fan of this band since their debut came out some years ago. 'Lord of...' is a great album, and I bet this second album will be even better. I've heard all the soundclips on their website, so I must say the new songs sounds promising.

And I've read a review about the new album too on Metalreviews.
It got 95/100 !

http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/detail.php3?id=1683

Can't wait to buy this new album!