Huntress - Static

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
I've not been able to get into any of their previous albums mainly 'cos I'm not a fan of her vocals but I quite like this new song. Sounds more melodic and catchier and the music sounds much better produced as well. Her vocals are still gonna be a deal breaker for many but I can just about get by if she keeps this standard of melody.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a fan since the first album and each album since has been better than the previous one. Really looking forward to this one. Plus Jill is a class act and a great vocalist

I loved the debut and was lukewarm on the follow up (it had some great moments though). I'll reserve judgement on this new one until I hear the whole thing, I'm glad they've kept in most of the clean vocals, I was worried they'd coast on the screams once they got a few albums in them.

Musically, I think it's okay, but like bands like Revocation or Trivium or Battlecross or Blackguard...it's not mathematically bad, it's just that.......I don't want to listen to it much. But I really think this band is the worst at the whole "Look at how hot our female singer is" gimmick. I love that women are in metal, but sometimes I think these guys are a little gratuitous about it. It seems like their marketing is all about...SHE HAS BOOBS! HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT OUR SINGER HAS BOOBS YET?!

99650_artist.jpg

Musically, I think it's okay, but like bands like Revocation or Trivium or Battlecross or Blackguard...it's not mathematically bad, it's just that.......I don't want to listen to it much. But I really think this band is the worst at the whole "Look at how hot our female singer is" gimmick. I love that women are in metal, but sometimes I think these guys are a little gratuitous about it. It seems like their marketing is all about...SHE HAS BOOBS! HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT OUR SINGER HAS BOOBS YET?!

99650_artist.jpg

Just to be fair, the photo above was years before Huntress when Jill was a DJ going by the name Penelope Tuesdae. As time has gone on the band is less focused on Jill's sexuality and more about the music

Just to be fair, the photo above was years before Huntress when Jill was a DJ going by the name Penelope Tuesdae. As time has gone on the band is less focused on Jill's sexuality and more about the music

Agreed 100%. And they have definitely evolved as a serious band, improving each album on their musicianship.

Not mathematically bad? Oh boy. OK, since we seem to be veering toward the eccentricities of critique, maybe we should bring out the obvious. What's with the bandwagon so many jump on of complaining about how a female led band is portrayed? Or better yet, just the fact it's a female led band? I read and see all the time... the same over-the-top bombastic reviews and promotion of male led metal bands over and over and few complain. Just lemme know if there's a double standard so I can put my PC hat on. Wouldn't wanna feel outta place.

I generally like the band and like the new song.

But I will say this again, if lyrics are not really your band's strong suit (which is fine), it is probably not a good idea to do lyric videos which really make them the focus. It would be like a White Stripes video that was all drum cam footage :)

I do think the overtly sexual schtick is off-putting. I don't like it from Steel Panther either. But I do think that the "focus on our hot singer" thing is easier to overcome when the music is better.

To define what I mean by "not mathematically bad," it's because I don't quite know why I don't like this or a few other bands that have popped up in recent times. Check some of the examples I gave...there are bands in metal that I can't say "THEY SUCK" because I don't think there's anything wrong with them. Trivium, Revocation, Black Dahlia Murder, Lazarus A.D., Halestorm, Divine Heresy, Battlecross, and others that aren't doing anything inherently wrong with their music, nothing that's "not metal..." I just can't get into it. And I can't say I don't like it because it's "generic," because believe me I like a lot of death metal and black metal that at the end of the day is pretty generic when compared to similar artists. I like plenty of bands with female singers and female members, so it's not that I just don't like "girl bands" or whatever.

So to better explain my point of view - yeah I think over-sexualizing the frontman/woman is off-putting because it puts image too far ahead of music (image can be important, and part of the experience, but it shouldn't be the only selling point..........unless you're GWAR). And I think that if the music isn't there I'm not going to be a fan of the band anyway, regardless of image.

I do think the overtly sexual schtick is off-putting. I don't like it from Steel Panther either. But I do think that the "focus on our hot singer" thing is easier to overcome when the music is better. To define what I mean by "not mathematically bad," it's because I don't quite know why I don't like this or a few other bands that have popped up in recent times. Check some of the examples I gave...there are bands in metal that I can't say "THEY SUCK" because I don't think there's anything wrong with them. Trivium, Revocation, Black Dahlia Murder, Lazarus A.D., Halestorm, Divine Heresy, Battlecross, and others that aren't doing anything inherently wrong with their music, nothing that's "not metal..." I just can't get into it. And I can't say I don't like it because it's "generic," because believe me I like a lot of death metal and black metal that at the end of the day is pretty generic when compared to similar artists. I like plenty of bands with female singers and female members, so it's not that I just don't like "girl bands" or whatever. So to better explain my point of view - yeah I think over-sexualizing the frontman/woman is off-putting because it puts image too far ahead of music (image can be important, and part of the experience, but it shouldn't be the only selling point..........unless you're GWAR). And I think that if the music isn't there I'm not going to be a fan of the band anyway, regardless of image.

So, the same type thing happens with male fronted bands... and it happens alot more often. Do you have issue with that?

Point being... there are SO many complaints about 'Yet another female led band - oh I'm so tired of em' or there abouts... yet where's the hate for the male led metal bands doing the same thing? Point being there's either a disconnect or a bias toward the lady led bands. Maybe not with you specifically, but in general it happens alot.

Yeah I think you're right. And also I'd say labels know that female fronted metal bands sell albums and concert tickets. It's business.

And marketing does the same with male-led metal bands... else why would they oil up the beefcake singer dude with the shirt open for the foto shoot. It's all marketing, and happens from every conceivable angle... from fluffing up the album description, to putting the band/album in there with a genre they're barely part of... to the glossed up sexed up foto shoots... You name it.

And many buy into the image created... and buy the album because of it.

Alright, when has this happened since MANOWAR? I need to know for.. market research. >_>

Oh that's funny. Is that supermarket, or stock market research? :loco:

Seriously... Yes, that's THE most obvious one, but do you really think I'm going to go down the line naming them off? Just look around. E-Z enough to find. That is, if it's that important an issue for you. My point was initially that it's tiresome to keep hearing supposed metal fans complain more about female led bands than male led bands... for basically the same type issues. If you don't think an issue exists, no need for the conversation to exist.

So I've been a fan of these guys since the first time I saw the Eight of Swords video. I've enjoyed the first two releases quite a bit. Live, these kids just absolutely kill.

I did the Pledge Music thing for the new album and got the download this morning.

Damn. They have definitely gone to the next level on this album. The production of the vocals is particularly cool. There's a lot of nice melodies in there, tasty guitar work, and everything is just up notches!

I've heard it too, and I'm pretty underwhelmed. I'm starting to think that the explosive first album was their peak, and the sophomore slump has become a bust. Her voice is good, but not good enough to carry generic riffs and low energy throughout.