Hurricane season

ThXinc

Uber Metal
Not to be a Debbie downer... But not this again....keep your eyes on the weather and leave room in your bags for your rain gear...it's gonna be a close call...:guh: Katia is on track to hit the lower East coast in about 12 days. It's a little too early to tell, but I was amazed at how well the weather service is able to predict the path of these things. Let us pray it steers clear....of the US completely...the East coast does not need another round of this shit.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44355043/ns/weather/#.Tl_shmOa-uI

I literally just got my power back after Irene, came here, and saw this thread. God dammit.

edit: Page not found.

This kind of has been on my mind lately. Hoping it doesn't come anywhere close to Atlanta, but isn't atlanta far enough inland that hurricanes break up for the most part?

And the ensuing thunderstorm can wreak havoc on travel plans. I knew a lot of people who had trouble getting into Atlanta during Ivan a bunch of years back.

I changed my flight from Wed to Mon that year. People thought I was crazy flying to, instead of away from, Ivan. Gosh, that was back when we stayed at the Fairfield. This year I may not be able to get away like that should something happen...

I will be happy if ProgPower is overcast. I won't even be upset at a little rain. Heck, even a thunderstorm is okay. It actually stormed last year. But I'll be hoping that the hurricane doesn't cause anything worse!

This kind of has been on my mind lately. Hoping it doesn't come anywhere close to Atlanta, but isn't atlanta far enough inland that hurricanes break up for the most part?

They're still strong enough to screw up everyone's day. Keep in mind that the wind and storms often extend hundreds of miles out from the center of a hurricane, and even if they pass by within a few hours, there's still damage to be assessed, and those delays snowball like crazy across the nation.

Ivan hit Atlanta late morning as I recall - I was supposed to leave at lunchtime, I hightailed it to BWI as early as I could get there, took like a 9am flight (with Rick and Barb and Jdub), and ours was one of the last flights in before they stopped letting flights land because the wind was kicking up. Many planes circled until they had to divert to Tennessee, etc to refuel, some even went back to their airport of origin til the next day. The people coming in from the west reported really ugly turbulence of the grab-your-barf-bag variety.

And many those of us who did get in early got -drenched- between the MARTA and the hotel/venue.

It's no fun. I'd rather not have to deal with that again!

It poured for at least a day and a half with Ivan. Gray and windy. I have pics somewhere. Several of my friends were hours, or a day late getting in due to the winds, etc. But by Friday it indeed was like it never happened.

Ivan hit Atlanta late morning as I recall - I was supposed to leave at lunchtime, I hightailed it to BWI as early as I could get there, took like a 9am flight (with Rick and Barb and Jdub)

I think I met the 3 of you at the airport in Atlanta, and we all Marta'ed together. I have never flown in with Rick & Barb. They'd probably kick us off the plane :devil: I DO remember our flight being the last plane allowed to land. That was a wild day. I think I changed clothes 3 times, from running around in the rain. The winds as we walked to the Res were insane. I also threatened to body surf a friends corpse down Peachtree, as he was sick, and thought he was going to die. He came out of it ok.....:Smokedev:

I hope whatever forms, stays at sea, I'll be in SC on the 11th & 12th, would rather avoid any big storms if I had a choice. I always wanted to experience a hurricane, but I'd rather do it without Prog Power looming ahead on the schedule.....

Looks like it might be on track for the mid-Atlantic/northeast... :/

Just took a look at the tracking predictions (predictions being the key word) and it soes look like it'll be avoiding the Sourtheast, but yeah, Mid-Atlantic could be a problem.....Lets just hope it stays out at sea for EVERYONE'S sake.....

I sure has hell don't want to drive through a hurricane on my way to progpower again. We were driving through alabama when Ivan was rolling through. Once the rain went sideways and the wind was whipping hard, we pulled over into a truckstop and slept for 4 hours or so. Not my idea of a fun drive..

Happily, the current forecast shows Katia turning northeast and pushing out to sea on Thursday, with no impact on the east coast other than riptides and waves.