I Am Abomination - To Our Forefathers

Spiritbeast

Noob-in-training
Mar 14, 2011
Oh! Sorry for all the questions (I think the answer to my first one is probably East West stuff), but... what is used for that awesome HUGE snare at the end of Element 151? My initial guess would be Evolve cause I know thats a favorite of yours, but it sounds so sick!

Judging by Nick's excitement, it must have taken a bit.

By the way, I discovered something cool... during the chorus of Rock N' No Soul, Phil's voice appears to be doubled by a really heavily distorted version of it in the back. I don't know the formal name - a bitcrusher? It's the same effect used at the end of the song 'Digital Veil' on the vocalist.
Or at least I think I heard this. Maybe I'm going crazy.

So does that imply that the drums are programmed? I've always been curious how Joey actually does his drums usually. Just figured that it was real cymbals with the kit obviously edited and sample replaced.

I sort of hope they use real bass for the next album. The programmed drums sound fine, but if you listen you can sort of hear how trillian-y the bass is. A little bit annoying, but still amazing production.

I just can't wait for their new material coming soon... I'm just unsure if the first of the 'albums' released will be an album or an EP, if it's going to be released on Good Fight or not, if it's going to be produced by Nick or Joey.. they can't seem to make up their minds! :p All that matters is it will be gnarly as fuck.

I sort of hope they use real bass for the next album. The programmed drums sound fine, but if you listen you can sort of hear how trillian-y the bass is. A little bit annoying, but still amazing production.

I just can't wait for their new material coming soon... I'm just unsure if the first of the 'albums' released will be an album or an EP, if it's going to be released on Good Fight or not, if it's going to be produced by Nick or Joey.. they can't seem to make up their minds! :p All that matters is it will be gnarly as fuck.

To be honest, I found the bass to be too soft on this album, compared to all of Joeys other work. The bass sits really well under the guitars so that it sounds like its part of the guitar tone. But I guess it just lacks that real wood low end of a real bass.
But the whole intention of the albums production, was to be super accurate and video game'esk, Joey mentioned they were going for a video game vibe, so in that way, the bass is perfect for the production.

Haha, Im pretty sure Joey uses Trillian on more CDs than you guys think and None of you would have ever guessed.
and Just because you see a bass part in a studio update does not mean it was actually used.

and I talked to Nick and Phil the other day about upcoming IAA.
Nick is producing the EP that they are recording right now (with the same setup of production as the last CD) and they arent sure who they are going to for the full length yet. (Just saying I wouldnt assume that they are automatically going back to Joey)

Haha, Im pretty sure Joey uses Trillian on more CDs than you guys think and None of you would have ever guessed.
and Just because you see a bass part in a studio update does not mean it was actually used.

and I talked to Nick and Phil the other day about upcoming IAA.
Nick is producing the EP that they are recording right now (with the same setup of production as the last CD) and they arent sure who they are going to for the full length yet. (Just saying I wouldnt assume that they are automatically going back to Joey)

Ah okay, so it is an EP and a full length. Phil tends to refer to them both as 'albums', but I guess an EP is an album.

I remember the one video they posted they claimed themselves that Joey would be doing the full length, but that seems to have changed.
I think Nick should also just do the full length, he's great.

Forsure Seth, even when i record ands, they do some playing along with the already recorded song, just for studio update video crap. I hate it when bands do that.