I am so proud right now:

mindspell

vvv Jake's ass vvv
Jul 6, 2002
Montreal
www.mindspell.org
http://montreal.metblogs.com/archives/2005/04/ding_dong_the_k.phtml

Ding dong the Kreme is dead

It admit it, I could not help but to feel a little bit of pride in the inhabitants of my neighborhood when I noticed that the Marche de l'ouest Krispy Kreme was boarded up after less than a year.

It is said that American society has a big problem with food. You simply need to drive south for 45 min and to sit down at the Camplain Mall food court in Plattsburg to see what I'm talking about. One of the symbol of this problem is Krispy Kreme and their oh so good doughnuts that are only sold in boxes of 12. In fact, they give you a free doughnut while you wait, a strategy that was originally developed by schoolyard drug pushers.

Some have assumed that the Fall of the KK Empire is due to the increasing popularity of the Atkins diet but that is simply not the case up here. Have you been to Premiere Moisson recently?

Myself, and many people I know, did the obligatory pilgrimage but most of us obviously knew how amazingly unhealthy these little nuggets of taste can be. Each regular glaze doughnut contains 200 calories and 12g of fat, the one with a caramel coating has 390 calories. As a comparison, a Big Mac contains 576 calories and 32.5g of fat and your average adult needs 2000 calories per day.

Just so you really know what you're missing, I went to the effort of downloading the ingredient list from the KK web page. Sounds yummy.

Ingredients: Enriched flour, dextrose, vegetable oil shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil), water, sugar, soy flour, dried egg yolks, wheat gluten, yeast, skim milk, calcium sulphate, ammonium sulphate, calcium peroxide, mono- and dicalcium phosphate, diammonium phosphate, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, whey, starch, ascorbic acid, sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, salt, mono- and diglycerides, lecithin, calcium propionate, cellulose gum, natural and artificial flavours, amylase, maltogenic amylase, pentosanase, protease, sodium caseinate, corn maltodextrin, corn syrup solids, BHT.

Glaze: Sugar, water, corn starch, calcium carbonate, calcium sulphate, agar, dextrose, locust bean gum, disodium phosphate, sorbitan monostearate, mono- and diglycerides, artificial flavour, salt.

This thread makes me want to go out and get a box of Krispy Kremes now. I'll probably do it sometime this evening. I'll eat six initially and save six for later.

Proud to say they originated in my home town, and Alex you are completely wrong in this I'm sorry. They are 3 parts sugar, 3 parts fried dough, and all parts awesome.

http://www.snopes.com/food/origins/luther.asp

Luther Burger

Claim: The "Luther Burger," a bacon cheeseburger served on a Krispy Kreme doughnut bun, is a real food named after R&B singer Luther Vandross.

Example: [Collected via e-mail, 2005]

Is this true? 'After running out of buns one day, Luther Vandross invented the "Luther Burger": one all-beef patty between two glazed donuts.'

Origins: Some of us older folks can recall a time when not only could we eat anything we wanted without receiving stern warnings from well-meaning friends and relatives about the health risks associated with our favorite foods, but many of the items we're now advised to eliminate or reduce in our diets (e.g., red meat, eggs, milk, butter, cheese) were even said to be good for us! Alas, now medical concerns over cholesterol and fats and just about any oily, greasy, or fried foods have put the kibosh on a number of treats we once consumed with impunity....