I bought my first country release in my life today....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Don't get worried because I haven't been active here much lately..... my tastes have not changed. I will give you the story:

I work third shift, and the guys at work on second shift listen to country music 90% of the time on our shop radio, so when I come in, it is playing. I leave it on there sometimes because one of my two supervisors also likes country (although classic rock is great with him too, so when I am in a compromising mood, it is mostly classic rock on the shop radio.) Anyway....the popular country station plays the fool out of the hottest band in country music namely Rascal Flatts and although with any popular music, be it rock, R&B or country, the listening public often has pretty bad taste in what "artists" are. To give the country music fans a break on this, Rascal Flatts, simply sound good. There is no Rascal in the band, but the lead singer, Gary LeVox sings sooo well that despite a style of music I normally dislike, I really like this band. Having said that, the band really sounds as much slow R&B and folk as much as country. I bought their "Greatest Hits Volume I" and I like about five songs on it. I have mounds of metal CDs that I like fewer songs on Ha ha ha.
In all seriousness, I haven't become a huge fan or anything of them, but I really have a great respect for their vocalist. He (and the other two members are also great harmony vocalists) is by all since of the word an "ELITE" vocalist. If you want to hear someone who can sing very well, see if you can find a clip of the song "Bless The Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts on the net. He has a mastery of his instrument like few others.

Bryant

C'mon sissies !! Somebody out there is supposed to make fun of me. Ya'll aren't "real" metal fans if you allow some guy to talk about how much he likes some fucking country band !!!

Bryant

C'mon sissies !! Somebody out there is supposed to make fun of me. Ya'll aren't "real" metal fans if you allow some guy to talk about how much he likes some fucking country band !!!

Bryant

Ha ha you like the preemptive attack, don't you? :headbang:

Actually I can remember that most of the regulars here disused Johnny Cash and said that they really liked him and his music.

As for me, the older I get the less I am inclined to like country music. In the 70s I used to like some of the hit singles but that time is gone now.

I will check out Rascal Flatts and let you know how I like them.
Nice to 'see' you again buddy. :)

I can deal with some old country.
It's mostly folk anyway.
I was in the hospital recently and was able to get an old Hank Williams set on the radio and it really helped smooth me out.
Pop country is ass though.

Very true, but Cash has always been an exception to the rule in country music. I would consider him popular folk music. The 70's was also a golden era for popular music in general. Bands like Boston, Steve Miller and Kansas ruled the popular rock world as well.
As far as you liking country music less as you get older has nothing to do with your taste and more to do with the quality of music. Country music is "popular music" and there aren't many "artists. It is comprised mostly of singers who look a part and sing songs composed by others.

Bryant

Ha ha you like the preemptive attack, don't you? :headbang:

Actually I can remember that most of the regulars here disused Johnny Cash and said that they really liked him and his music.

As for me, the older I get the less I am inclined to like country music. In the 70s I used to like some of the hit singles but that time is gone now.

I will check out Rascal Flatts and let you know how I like them.
Nice to 'see' you again buddy. :)

Very true, but Cash has always been an exception to the rule in country music. I would consider him popular folk music. The 70's was also a golden era for popular music in general. Bands like Boston, Steve Miller and Kansas ruled the popular rock world as well.
As far as you liking country music less as you get older has nothing to do with your taste and more to do with the quality of music. Country music is "popular music" and there aren't many "artists. It is comprised mostly of singers who look a part and sing songs composed by others.

Bryant

Yea, I guess that you are right about that. I like most of the old outlaw country like Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings and some of Neil Young material. Although I am not sure if Neil Young was ever seen as part of the outlaw country genre.

Bryant

Country?! What the hell are you thinking! (that wasn't a question) Country's what scum aspires to be! You sicken me! You and your whole lowsy operation sickens me! I quit!!

Happy now? :saint:

I am pretty open-minded as far as music goes but there are a few genre's I just can't get into, country being one of them. As others mentioned above, I can easily forgive Johnny Cash but much beyond that, and I turn a deaf ear in a hurry.

Also, I think the "Bluegrass Tribute to Metallica" album is pretty cool. There are a thousand of these bluegrass tribute albums, and this is the only one I've found that's any good

Last edited by a moderator:
Nuthin' wrong with a little Flatt & Scruggs!

Can you really compare that to country though? While I agree there is some good blue grass out there, comparing it to country is like comparing oldies to classic rock. I'm on the fence as far as the novelty stuff like Hayseed Dixie, the musicianship is there, but write your own shit... you know?

Bryant
I listed to this, particularly "Bless The Broken Road" as you mentioned. It's horrible. I'm sure they are good (clever) musos but it don't fly with me. It makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

happy?

Bryant

I can imagine you sittin' at the tracktor, putting a feather behind your wives ear and chasing her, all together with the Cotton Eye Joe tune :lol:

But that's all I can relate to country-wise ... I probably don't know the genre good enough to say I like it or not, but from what I know I won't like it that much anyway. I do like folk-music alot, but more old English and European folk, wich also is quit different to "Jon Denver" style folk....