I have a question....

ShadowOfDeath said:
Cannibal Corpse is fast and brutal. If you're so intelligent let's hear you play it on guitar oh great one

I bet they could write a direct a good horror film, hey i'd even want to see it.

Are you one of those power metal fans? In this world we have dark and light...we can't have more of one. You can't have too much dark and brutal crap in your life with no light at the end of the tunnel.

It doesn't make you feel good...just pumped and agressive. CC Live is awesome. It's a big mess? How? I don't notice any mess in there? And like you said it's just Death Metal. Does that mean all death metal is a mess?

Name crappy bands that sound together on their studio recording, i went to the ozzfest last year and all the bands there blow more then some cheap french whore.

Crappy bands that sound together?-How about system of a down, just to give an example of how bad I'm talking about. Really, only teenage teenybopper girls think they're good-but compared to cannibal corpse their studio recording sounded much more in-sync with each other. In fact, I can even stomach it! Live, I bet they sound terrible. But if they could get it together for the studio then why couldn't CC?

I bet they could write a good horror film. But did my analogy just totally fly over your head?

About it being a mess. I consider most grindcore to sound like a complete mess. I hate the stuff. In fact, the only two grindcore bands I've ever been able to stomach and even sometimes enjoy(not often) are Dying Fetus, and Misery Index. And a lot dying fetus sounds terrible to me, but a lot is good too. Now to get back on subject, Cannibal Corpse sound more like grindcore then Death Metal by my standards. Like I said, there's plenty of good death metal out there but this aint it.

No, I'm not one of those powermetal fans. I like the musicality in some power metal but the vocals drive me nuts. Can't stand the vocals at all. But I do agree with your second statement. There should be a balance.

As for me whipping off some cannibal corpse riffs, I'll tell you what-give me a link to some tablature. I'll record it in the next couple weeks since I should be one break soon, and I'll even use my crap dod pedal to REALLY make it sound authentic. Actually, that thing is such garbage it probably won't sound the same at all. Why would I waste that type of time? I'm writing some metal right now and it would be good practice to play some older riffs and get used to that style progression. It's quite the switchover from folk sound music-which is what the last song I wrote sounded like.

And by the way-Don't get offended that I think CC suck, music is subjective.

thecrimsonchin said:
Crappy bands that sound together?-How about system of a down, just to give an example of how bad I'm talking about. Really, only teenage teenybopper girls think they're good-but compared to cannibal corpse their studio recording sounded much more in-sync with each other. In fact, I can even stomach it! Live, I bet they sound terrible. But if they could get it together for the studio then why couldn't CC?

System of a Down don't really sound together....well with the exception of Toxicity besides that's the only thing worth having of theirs.

thecrimsonchin said:
As for me whipping off some cannibal corpse riffs, I'll tell you what-give me a link to some tablature. I'll record it in the next couple weeks since I should be one break soon, and I'll even use my crap dod pedal to REALLY make it sound authentic. Actually, that thing is such garbage it probably won't sound the same at all. Why would I waste that type of time? I'm writing some metal right now and it would be good practice to play some older riffs and get used to that style progression. It's quite the switchover from folk sound music-which is what the last song I wrote sounded like.

And by the way-Don't get offended that I think CC suck, music is subjective.

You write music to? I noodle on guitar. I try to get a bunch of guitar styles together....from bands like slipknot....to nile....to metallica...to iron maiden....to tool. Just to get a broad feel of music and to get experience in playing all types of stuff. I'm also going to try classical guitar and latin percussion because the band i'm a part of is working on including classical music and latin percussion with a nu-thrash type of metal. Classical Guitar is pretty complex and i'm going to take a year or so to work on some classical stuff. As for latin percussion we still need to buy some bongos and crap for that. But i have been writing out a classical type of music on piano that i'm trying to mix with a classical guitar sound and mallet percussion. Should come out interesting, the people who have heard it said it's coming out great :)

I agree, music is subjective.

ShadowOfDeath said:
System of a Down don't really sound together....well with the exception of Toxicity besides that's the only thing worth having of theirs.

You write music to? I noodle on guitar. I try to get a bunch of guitar styles together....from bands like slipknot....to nile....to metallica...to iron maiden....to tool. Just to get a broad feel of music and to get experience in playing all types of stuff. I'm also going to try classical guitar and latin percussion because the band i'm a part of is working on including classical music and latin percussion with a nu-thrash type of metal. Classical Guitar is pretty complex and i'm going to take a year or so to work on some classical stuff. As for latin percussion we still need to buy some bongos and crap for that. But i have been writing out a classical type of music on piano that i'm trying to mix with a classical guitar sound and mallet percussion. Should come out interesting, the people who have heard it said it's coming out great :)

I agree, music is subjective.

That sounds awesome. I was involved in a Jazz-metal band for a few months, but it didn't work out. Everyone was too busy to devote time to it. I just write on my own in my freetime now.

I started with classical music. It was my first type of music experience. I haven't played much classical guitar though. I played double bass back when I did the classical thing. But anyway, it will probably similar in the sense that your basically going to need to memorize a lot of scales so that you can write that type of music effectively. It would be a good mix though, metal and classical.

My REAL problem right now, is that it's just me writing. Its difficult to visualize overlapping guitar parts. I'm VERY used to writing for one guitar right now which works for folk style, and some other stuff like jazz-which I'm good at because of my bass experience. But not metal, everything's about the twin guitars in metal. But on the other hand, the stuff I am turning out DOES sound different just because it's one guitar doing all the work. I still think I need to do some layering though.

Looks like Im going to be the odd man out here. I loved Cannibal Corpse up until the Bleeding, then it was bland. Personally I love Six Feet Under, always have....They have gotten quite a bit of flack for Bringer of Blood, but personally I think its great. Someone must agree with me because they are selling quite a few CD's. Everyone has there own opinion, and personally I think Chris Barnes is THE BEST Death Metal singer in the game.

Im really surprised to hear so many negative comments about Six Feet Under. The reason most people seem to hate them is that "they are too slow" , "they arent technical...." Those are precisely the reasons I like them, they arent the run of the mill Death Metal/Metal band. I listen to, and love many Technical Death Metal and fast Death bands....But Its good to hear some Death Metal that is a little different than the hordes of Technical Death metal bands these days.

tRiad

I could care less about 6FU being slow or simple. I listen to fucking Godsmack.

The fact is, they suck. Their songs are worthless drivel, and are boring to boot. And Barnes sucks. He has two modes: Liquid Drano and high-pitched shit

CC have always sucked as well. Shock-rock death metal that's poorly played and even more poorly written. The lyrics are aimless gore meant to offend, and wouldn't even amount to a C-grade horror film. Pure aural trash.

And still purely subjective.

6FU are a joke, face it. playing three or four palm muted power chords(mostly open) for 3 minutes is not death metal, its bullshit, just like mr. barnes himself. and CC, ill give them the fact that they inspired a lot of death metal and such, but come on, then and now they still cant piece together a song that flows nice(theyre all filler)

i forget who said it but someone was kinda right about the analogy of slasher films and death metal. theres death metal thats just trying to hard to be brutal and shocking and shit just like crappy horror films like friday the thirteenth and ghosts of mars, just nothing but blood and titties which isnt necessairly bad but it is predictable as hell and overdone. then theres death metal bands that are more like return of the living dead where that dude cremates himself alive. those bands are like mercyful fate whre theyr less blatantly brutal and shocking but at the same time the songs fuck with your mind a lot more. kind of like the black sabbath song black sabbath.

of couse six feet under really is quite stoner friendly even if theyre covers of purple haze and california uber alles are hilariously rediculous sounding even though they were actually serious about covering those songs. i cant help but laugh my ass off every time i hear one of those cover songs.