I have a stupid question....

PhilTheBeard

"The Beard"
Jun 23, 2009
Cape Coral, Florida
www.facebook.com
Ok i tried searching the forum and couldn't really find anything on this. But i was wondering if anyone knows of a device that i could hook multiple amp's up to, And switch between them. to make it a little bit easier to switch between amp's when trying out tone's.

Ya, those are the only choices Phil.

Another option is to build yourself a patchbay using speakon connectors like Michael Wagener did. I am in the middle of a build like this right now. All the outputs from the heads run to a single patch bay, and from the patch bay using little 3ft speakon cables you can choose different cabs that are wired to the other side of the patch bay. It would be fairly simple to make, just need to be really careful you have everything hooked up right before you start playing or something could go wrong and blow the head.

Cool idea for the patchbay, but why would the connectors need to be Speakon? I'm pretty sure any plug would work, as long as the cable was 2-conductor and a decent gauge (at least 18)

And Phil, I hate to be that guy, but just FYI, you don't need an apostrophe when pluralizing words such as "heads" and "tones" (sorry :lol: )

Yeah at the last place I worked I built a patch bay that could route any of the heads to any of the cabs we had. The owner also bought like 4 each of the mics so we always had a sm57, et al in the good spots on the cabs (of course we would move them if needed) so I also had those on the patch bay going to our preamps, was really neat. Could just patch any head to any cab and any mic to any of our pres all right there at the desk, we built a rack/shelf thing to hold all the heads. Anyway, we only used TS cables, no speakon.

Yea mine is pretty bad as well. I could honestly care less, cause my grammar does not pay the bills. :devil:

That should be "could NOT care less" instead of "could care less."

Saying you "could care less" would mean you care more now than you possibly could... which is the exact opposite of what you're meaning to say.

But seriously... this is an international forum. You guys are making Americans look bad. :p

Cool idea for the patchbay, but why would the connectors need to be Speakon? I'm pretty sure any plug would work, as long as the cable was 2-conductor and a decent gauge (at least 18)

I used Speakons cause I have a little black cat who LOVE to tug on cables all over my desk. I dont want to chance him pulling the cables in the middle of a session.

You could use just standard TS cables.

Seriously I think with the speakon connectors so far its only cost me $75 to build it.

Here is a real cheese dick schematic I threw together in Photoshop.

http://www.jasoncohenitservices.com/patch_bay.jpg

Its too big to embed without making the forum look like shit.

Basically its a 24 input patch bay, and you can see how I have it configured. I actually have a perma DI box and Remp box setup as well routed into the patch bay that goes to an input on my interface. This allows me to do quick reamp setups.

none of this is actually built or implemented as I am still building the patch bay, but once its completed I will post pics.

Here is a real cheese dick schematic I threw together in Photoshop.

http://www.jasoncohenitservices.com/patch_bay.jpg

Its too big to embed without making the forum look like shit.

Basically its a 24 input patch bay, and you can see how I have it configured. I actually have a perma DI box and Remp box setup as well routed into the patch bay that goes to an input on my interface. This allows me to do quick reamp setups.

none of this is actually built or implemented as I am still building the patch bay, but once its completed I will post pics.

Nice work Jason, looking forward to seeing pics when it's done.
I'm guessing you'll just plug the guitar into the DI, splitting the guitar signal, one straight to your interface and the other going to a TS before hitting the patchbay (only if the TS is needed of course)?

Nice work Jason, looking forward to seeing pics when it's done.
I'm guessing you'll just plug the guitar into the DI, splitting the guitar signal, one straight to your interface and the other going to a TS before hitting the patchbay (only if the TS is needed of course)?

yup, thats why I left a few of the inputs empty. I am still working on FX loop routing and how exactly I want it to work. I want to have the FX loops routed as well for different things, especially with the Bugera as it can really "color" the tone in some nice ways. Its also great for using different pre / power amp combinations.

Its gonna be a few months probably as I am working out all the details, and waiting on some parts to arrive. I will definitely do a build thread when I start it though.