I have a weird problem...

Sep 26, 2011
Ok.. I know this might not be the right Sub-thread but maybe you guys can give "Tips" for how to deal with this problem making the thread appropriate.

So I have the renaissance bundle and I love it. I use it a lot. That and a Software/Hardware Hybrid API setup I have.

Here's my problem and I know it's odd.
I cant use the renaissance channel.

Partly Cause more often than not I like choosing my compression style with Rcomp. But mostly..

When I open the REQ, the size it (Though I'm boosting/Cutting and using my ears more than anything) I can visualize the track. I see sounds kind of like shapes and colors and the big EQ helps me see the Audio in my head as a big spectrum.

I'm not sure if i'm translating this accurately. The small size of the channel makes me feel like i'm EQ'ing a miniature track, I see the small screen boosting and cutting and feel like it's barely doing anything cause the screen is so small. I know I have to just use my ears whichever way I slice it, And I can always Put the EQ then The comp makes no difference to my CPU load but I wish I didn't have to. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem but I figured I'd see if the forum ever came across this mental stigma.

Thanks Guys

Well I kinda know what you mean. I typically use the stock Digi eq7 in Pro Tools partly because I LOVE the interface. It's really easy for me to use. The display is big enough to allow for a good resolution when seeking problem frequencies. Half the eqing I do is on the way in with outboard neve and apis, so I don't feel like I use my eyes more than ears, but once I hear something having that type of visual interface makes it easy to translate and find frequencies quickly.

So I kinda get it. The channel strip probably sounds the same, but if the other eq is easier for you to use just because of the visual interface, then fuck it. Use that eq. Whatever gets you better results quicker man.

I totally get this! I think its a synesthesia kinda thing. There's definitely a 'feel' kinda thing to all this stuff.

I dig the stock PT EQ for the same reasons^^^

Even when we are supposed to focus on the audio 100%, I think it's hard to deny that the eye plays along, if only a little. It's a bit like eating food that is also presented well. The taste is key, and it doesn't change, but the experience feels much more fulfilling.

I don't perceive the visual aspect in the audio as strongly as you describe it, but I definitely like/dislike some plugins more because of how they look or feel.
ReaComp for example is an absolutely fine and versatile compressor that can do a lot of things other compressors can't. But...it looks like the operator screen for a power plant. I just don't vibe with that. I pretty much only use it for sterile/precise tasks nowadays because of that, which is a shame.
Compressors like the Klanghelm DC8C on the other hand sound good AND look so cool that it is fun to just turn knobs and watch the meters move. I could mix with those all day without getting bored. Because of that, I will probably pick them over ReaComp in general.

I have the "small screen/miniature track" problem in ReaEQ. You can't resize the window, and the analyzer built into the EQ just seems so weak and hard to read.

I have a complex where I can't use anything other than the Oxford EQ. I think the fact it's visually colourful probably plays a part in that haha. After using it for so long, I think I just know how to wield it better than any other EQ. I use the REQ from time to time, though the interface not looking visually that great means I tend to reach for the Oxford first.

I'd love to get a pro high end EQ, like a GML or something, since EQ is such a frequently used and important thing, might as well use the best thing there is.

I totally get this! I think its a synesthesia kinda thing. There's definitely a 'feel' kinda thing to all this stuff.

I dig the stock PT EQ for the same reasons^^^

Yeah I've been told by a lot of people I have synethesia. I went to a psychiatrist when I was young and he told me I had a very mild form of it. It's not a mental disorder per-say but since it's not a cultural normative to have it so they're the only ones who can diagnose you with synethesia. (Which is dumb I didn't need her to tell me that)

Anyways I'm not sure If I heard Ola talk about how he visualize's the high mid, and Low in three parts kind of like a human. The head torso and bottom half when Mixing. When boosting/Cutting he can kind of visualize and hear/feel the top where the space of the high end lives Etc.

When I have a big EQ It's a more tangible, I just can't get there with a small one.

It is really rare, but it happens. It's like using the Waves Q Series, i don't care if the Q8 can sculpt, boost, cut and colour everything, it's a very small thing that doesn't give me the right sense of space according to what i'm feeling.
Nimvi got a point on the "visualization". I cannot use the L2 limiter, for example. It is very ugly at first sight, but the things that limiter can do, are amazing. Still, i had to change it, my mind was killing me everytime i heard a track mastered by myself. "You used that horrible thing", but the people that received their work were really happy with it. So, yes, i think that we are really focused on the audio side, but the "visual" part of this could be still important. That doesn't mean that an ugly plugin will not do the work, there are a lot of plugins with a really shitty presentation but working like hell, it is just... a plus, i don't know how to say it without sounding stupid. Great topic, Kaptain.

^ Agreed, I don't know how I missed this post. Wow. you don't know how hard this hit home. I don't deal with this as heavy as you or Marco but I definitely have my fair share of those "Weird moments" where a plugins look can stifle my workflow. If the visualz look off putting it actually feels weird. I think it's completely normal. Seriously Kudos for sharing man!