I have been thinking about trading my Marshall for a 5150

Damn, I run the gain on my ultra channel at 5-6 and it's pretty saturated.
the one you played must 've been a dud. I never turn the gain on the Ultra channel past 6.
the crunch channel on the other hand I can dime the gain on that and depending on
what guitar I'm using it may not be enough.
BTW the Crunch channel on the JSX loves EMG 707's. MY Loomis sig sounded amazing thru it.

so what does the jsx crunch channel sound like? how much gain is available?
is it possible to run the ultra channel straight in for heavy rhythms, and switch to the crunch channel with a boost of some sort for leads?

Damn, I run the gain on my ultra channel at 5-6 and it's pretty saturated.
the one you played must 've been a dud. I never turn the gain on the Ultra channel past 6.
the crunch channel on the other hand I can dime the gain on that and depending on
what guitar I'm using it may not be enough.
BTW the Crunch channel on the JSX loves EMG 707's. MY Loomis sig sounded amazing thru it.

yeah...it must have been a dud.

so what does the jsx crunch channel sound like? how much gain is available?
is it possible to run the ultra channel straight in for heavy rhythms, and switch to the crunch channel with a boost of some sort for leads?

sure you can do that.
The Ultra cahnnel has a bit of compression to it so it's actually a bit better for playing lead on.
I use the crunch channel for mostly fusiony stuff. I can get a very "Cornford-ish" tone out of it which makes it really good for stuff like Greg Howe/Richie Kotzen/Guthrie Govan etc sounding stuff.
Now if I could just play like those guys I'd be all set.

but with a boost in front of it the Crunch channel can get plenty heavy enough.