I just got Nattens!

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
My collection is now complete :err: Well, minus the mysticum split :erk:

Anywho, maybe it's from being sent so many trOO, grim and necr0 black metal demos that were, in fact, recorded on fisher price tape recorders or in forests, but the production isn't really that bad at all! :eek: Seriously, I mean you can hear melody under the hissing? I really don't think this is that poorly produced on the scale of trOO black metal :Smug:

Russell said:
My collection is now complete :err: Well, minus the mysticum split :erk:

Anywho, maybe it's from being sent so many trOO, grim and necr0 black metal demos that were, in fact, recorded on fisher price tape recorders or in forests, but the production isn't really that bad at all! :eek: Seriously, I mean you can hear melody under the hissing? I really don't think this is that poorly produced on the scale of trOO black metal :Smug:

Actually I don't really mind the quality of recording in Nattens.
It gives an unique atmosphere! Much more original and evil..

Reactions: Russell
About time you got that one Russell. :)

I have heard worse recordings, you are right. Some really do sound like Fisher Price tapedecks! :lol: Personally I love the recording to Nattens, if it were a more clear production it would not have the same great mood that it does.

NAD said:
About time you got that one Russell. :)

I have heard worse recordings, you are right. Some really do sound like Fisher Price tapedecks! :lol: Personally I love the recording to Nattens, if it were a more clear production it would not have the same great mood that it does.

I was just surprised, after what everyone said I was expecting all hiss and hardly any music ;) Nattens's production is crystal clear compared to some of the demos I get sent :)

I most cases the production doesn't have much effect (for me) on the mood of the album (apart from ruining the music for me if it's too bad of course ;) ), we'll see if this is the case with NM :)

Well the difference between NM and the demos you mentioned is that Ulver knew what they were doing with the production and the sound came out that way intentionally, while the demos have a poor sound due to lack of knowledge or good studios...

I can hardly stomach Nattens, but it has been a few years since I last heard it and since then I have avidly listened to releases of such bands as Krieg and Judas Iscariot, who have a very "tr00" atmosphere and sound, so maybe my opinion has changed enough to encompany this album.

Kveldssanger said:
Well the difference between NM and the demos you mentioned is that Ulver knew what they were doing with the production and the sound came out that way intentionally, while the demos have a poor sound due to lack of knowledge or good studios...

:lol: Most of the really poorly produced demos I get are a mixture between both.. The production is poor because the band wants it that way, exacerbated by somewhat lacking studio skills ;)

When something is on-hold for quite a few years and then they band claims that they don't know when they'll get around to finishing it, I don't think it likely to be released.... But then, only the future will show...

That was the first Ulver CD i got. Great album, nor do i mind the production since i listen to bands like Nagaroth and Darkthrone and have heard much worse (listen to Mayhem's Pure Fucking Armageddon Demo for one). I agree that the sound quality should not be changed. I enjoy music with excellent quality as well, but i dont think all music was meant to have crystal clear production. I finally got first decade in the machines the other day as well. there is a few interesting cuts on their as well...