I know there's a very good reason why there are no winter fests in the north...

johnfrank1970

Jan 10, 2002
Madison, WI
welcome.to
I just want it beaten into me...

You would never travel to, say, the midwest for a festival during the winter, right?

Next question... For those who go to a lot of concerts, do you notice a general drop in attendance at local shows during the winter? Again, I only want answers from those who live in areas that actually experience a winter, not a ten degree drop in temperature with perhaps an occasional rainy day.

Thanks.

I feel for you guys, the weather is the main reason I will never live back east and I am as far north as I will ever go....

Its 70 out today :headbang:

I just want it beaten into me...

You would never travel to, say, the midwest for a festival during the winter, right?

Next question... For those who go to a lot of concerts, do you notice a general drop in attendance at local shows during the winter? Again, I only want answers from those who live in areas that actually experience a winter, not a ten degree drop in temperature with perhaps an occasional rainy day.

Thanks.

Heathen Crusade is a festival in Minneapolis during January.

I would hate walking 1 mile or more from a hotel to the venue in Chicago weather. And that goes for walking to get food, or waiting in a long line for hours before the show just to get up front. It would be a real pain in the ass in the cold. Winter weather simply kills a lot of motivation to do long distance traveling as well, especially driving.

Yea, attendance does drop a little, but if the band is popular, it matters not at all. I did blow off a show with Into Eternity in Brooklyn last week (week before?) because of the temperature. But I still go to a lot of shows.

I drive to a lot of shows in the winter up here in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, and Ohio. I don't notice a drop in attendance but it IS very difficult to stand outside forever in a line when it's 10 degrees with a windchill of -15. I just don't get there until doors open, which as I stated in a thread earlier this year regarding Blind Guardian/Leaves Eyes, is always a risk due to people who refuse to follow a printed schedule.

I drive to a lot of shows in the winter up here in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, and Ohio. I don't notice a drop in attendance but it IS very difficult to stand outside forever in a line when it's 10 degrees with a windchill of -15. I just don't get there until doors open, which as I stated in a thread earlier this year regarding Blind Guardian/Leaves Eyes, is always a risk due to people who refuse to follow a printed schedule.
Waiting outside in the cold for the Philly show totally sucked. But the security guards were so gosh darn friendly we hardly noticed! :Smug:

Last year my friends and I walked 3 miles from our hotel to the Sonata show in Chicago, in January. As long as the bands are good enough I don't think it matters.

I lived in Michigan most of my life and went to college in Ohio. It all depends as if the roads are driveable, and the show rocks, people will show up. You just hope the bands are able to make it from their previous city.

Yeah, as much as I hate the cold and it shows now that I live in Arizona, I do love the thought of Heathen Crusade in Minnesota in January except if you could find some deep thick woods to have it in the middle of spring.

I lived in MN from October through April and a few weeks in May. It was certainly a temperature drop for me, about a 50°F drop on a warm day on average from what I'm used to. Still, although I did not go to any fests, I got to see at bars:

Hammerfall
Edguy
Into Eternity
Sonata Arctica (on my birthday)
Cellador (twice)
Aesma Deva
Dream Theater (in MN), then two weeks later...
Dream Theater (XX anniversary in NY)
Gamma Ray
Avian
And I would've seen Opeth too if I hadn't been sick.

Weather was not a factor. I was more than happy digging my car from under the snow after the SA show. I even found a way to see the Packers at home in Green Bay. Huge deal for me. I would stand in freezing weather for three hours all over again. It's all on how much you're into something.

I live in Pittsburgh and have often driven in snow and sleet to see shows in Cleveland, because a lot of prog/power metal bands tend to book there instead of here. The commute has sometimes been a bit of a challenge, but nothing that keeps this type of community at home. When I saw Queensryche a few years back at the House of Blues, the sleet and wind was really coming off the lake, but nonetheless there was a line of fans all the way down the block. For the Blind Guardian/Symphony X show, the parking lot was like a skating rink – fans still piled in.

In fact, the worst weather I ever had to drive in to see a show was right here in Pittsburgh, where Symphony X played their first ever US show. The city was buried in snow, and it took my drummer and I an hour to make what normally would've been a 20 minute drive. Metal fans up here just don't let the weather get to them. Maybe we're just used to it. Or, maybe we just have mad viking blood in us! Heheh!

Y'know what I say – if it's too cold, you're too old! Heh.

\m/\m/

i haven't noticed. ive seen slayer, guardian, dragonforce, and will be seeing lamb of god as well up here. all were great turn out/fanbase. especially guardian, which was in decemeber. granted it was not at all the coldest december, but great turnout for all so far.