I know this is a metal forum but...rap vocals?

Jul 31, 2012
NJ/NY
I know this is mainly this forum is for heavy music, but i'm really trying to nail that rap vocal sound because I've been recording a lot of rappers lately. Here's my latest mix (I only mixed vocals, not beat), can anyone give me any advice on getting a better sound? I know the vocals are a tad bit loud, but the song has already been released therefore I can't change anything. IMO, although i would bring the vocals down 1-2 dbs, I don't think they're too loud apart from the beat to the point where it's unpleasant. Let me know what you think! Thanks guys

p.s. please don't bash me for this post not having any relation with heavy music...i'm just looking for some vocal mixing tips

Last edited by a moderator:
Rap/hip hop vocals usually sit a bit louder than you'd expect on a rock/metal track. A lot of hip hop artists are surprised at how low rock/metal vocals are in the mix. I'd say the sound and tone of the vocals is good. Maybe needs a touch more top end, but I'm not listening on my monitors. Volume is pretty good, I'd even try a couple of dB up to see how it sits. Reference them against some other vocals in this genre.