I love this album, it's absolutely beautiful.

Carbonized

Hermit
Oct 30, 2001
Alright, i have Volvere and i absolutely love it! Since not many of you have heard FotL or have heard them before and didn't know what to think of the music so i wrote my own review for it. I hope some of you take the time to stop in and read it thereby generating (hopefully) an interest in this criminally underrated band. Let us begin:

Fall of the Leafe "Volvere" - Rage of Achilles, 2004

Finland's Fall of the Leafe return in 2004 with a new album named "Volvere" which is Latin for "roll" or "to roll". This album certainly does that as in a nice fluid fashion although upon first listen it may not seem to fit as well as the
title implies and takes several listens to really grasp the nature of what FotL have presented us this time. In the 2 years since the release of their previous effort "Fermina" these boys have certainly matured a lot and have a better
songwriting craft. The spacey keyboards take a backseat this time around, for the most part, to provide a nice background upon which the more traditional instruments easily glide upon creating a nice and subtle tapestry of sound. Song structures range from the clean/acoutic guitar then switching to outright heavy riffing (Hells Silence; Big Ol Fat Rain Inside) or intricate rhythms laced with some subtle lead to give accents as well as tasty guitar squeals and lead breaks (Song from the Second Floor; Cut the Smoke). Tuomas Tuominen's vocals are as much improved as much as the bands instrument playing if not more. He uses a nice midrange clean vocal style mostly and seems to have much better control over where he wants to place a particular note and where to accent the music behind him. In addition to the clean vocals he also implements a lower almost growl but not growl like that of Opeth or Dark Tranquillity to add another dynamic and additional heaviness to those songs which want to run you over with their guitar riffs. The bass is at a nice level in the mix and more or less follows along with the rhythm rounding out the spectrum of sound as the drums provide a solid foundation that everything meshes flawlessly under the song structures. The songs on this album are very dynamic, varied, soulful, and overall extremely enjoyable to listen to. There is something great about every song on the album and it's quite rare that one like this comes along. The production is flawless whether you are listening on headphones or otherwise with plenty of details to savor. Everything is in place in 2004 for this band and there is a confidence apparent that was missing before. If you have not heard this band before, DO IT NOW. If you have heard them before and were turned off by the awkwardness of the music then do yourself a favor and reacquaint yourself with Fall of the Leafe and this brilliant album.

10/10