I need a bass amp, any you suggest?

Salvatore

Oct 4, 2005
wisconsin
I just bought an Ibanez sr905. And now I need an amp head. I figure there are alot of bass players here so can any one make a suggestion. My budget is around $700. What do you guys have? thanks :headbang:

I thought that James MacDonough's tone was great when I saw Megadeth last year - he was using a GK 2001 head with GK Neo 4x12s. Also Ampeg or Laney are good too, as far as I know.

Difficult.. I love Hartke, it's affordable en sounds good. But the problem with Hartke is: either love the sound or you hate it. Hartke has a huge influence on how you sound.

I'd say: visit a larger music store and play every amp available, of course using your own bass and a speaker cab that sounds alike.

So I found an amp at a music store. Its the Peavey Max 700. Has anyone had experience with this? It sounds pretty good and is reasonably priced.
By the way I have an older Peavey 2x15" black widow cabinet. It has tons of low end but may not be as dynamic as possible. Should I get an additional smaller speaker cab and combine them or should I just get a 4x10 cab.
The problem is everything sounds great at the music store just like when I buy shoes, The feel perfect at first but you walk a few blocks and they suck, I dont want to have any regrets in the long run. Thanks for any help Guys.

Rocco Prestia of Tower Of Power used to use a Peavey 2x15 and Jaco used a since folded 18, so large cabs with 15's and 18's can be very dynamic. As for Peavey amps, mmmm, they are loud but i don't think have a very nice tone. Gallien amps sound lovely as well as being quite light, very loud and wonderfully affordable

Ampeg is to expensive in my opinion, but I like 'huge' sound - so I picked Trace Elliot - used ones are in good prices and sound rocks

I went with the Peavey Max 700. And I ended up getting an Ibanez sr1006. The store had a 6 string in stock so I figured fuck it, why not. Its going to take some time to get used to 6 strings. So far I love the sound.

hey man, try a bunch of stuff out and go with whatever gives you the tone that you're most comfortable with. and try to consider what might sound good with the style of music you play. i use a peavey and it's not the best or the worst , but it'll do for now. eventually you can get a better amp, or keep saving up till you get the one you like.