I need a cheap distortion pedal.

CF87

Dec 15, 2003
I'm looking for recomendations on a cheap but good distortion pedal. The problem I have with my amp is that regardless how little or a lot of gain being used at a certain volume point the amp sounds ridiculously harsh and bad no matter what. I'm using an early 90's or middle 90's solid state Ampeg vh-140c head. If I use a distortion pedal maybe it would help the tone sound less harsh or more warm. I like how the amp naturally sounds at a lower volume but when I have to practive with drums the tone at louder volume makes it hard to get into the music because I do not like the sound.

...Also do you get better results running a distortion pedal through the clean or dirty channel.

always run it through the clean channel unless you want total crap. idk much about pedals,I have a boss metal Zone.Do not get that pedal.The distortion is ok but it sounds so....i guess digital and fake

The Greys said:
I'm looking for recomendations on a cheap but good distortion pedal. The problem I have with my amp is that regardless how little or a lot of gain being used at a certain volume point the amp sounds ridiculously harsh and bad no matter what. I'm using an early 90's or middle 90's solid state Ampeg vh-140c head. If I use a distortion pedal maybe it would help the tone sound less harsh or more warm. I like how the amp naturally sounds at a lower volume but when I have to practive with drums the tone at louder volume makes it hard to get into the music because I do not like the sound.
A distortion pedal will most likely just make you sound even harsher and shittier. There is one solution to your problem, and that is GET A TUBE AMP