I need a new vocal mic

AmirH

meh
Aug 12, 2003
seattle
I've got a u87 currently(an older one from the 70's) that I dig a lot but the thing is I'm moving soon to pursue my graduate degree. I don't want it to get stolen and it seems to me that since it's my first time on my own it would be better left at home. Soooo... I'm essentially looking for a replacement mic to use while over there. I'm in my last week at Guitar Center so I get stuff at cost- which can vary. An at4040 would run me about 225 for example and a rode nt2a would run 235. That's about the price range to be honest though I could jump as high as 350(price of an ntk) if the quality is there. Will be running into a saffire pro.

Soooo... suggestions? needs to be versatile and able to handle more than just vocals(acoustic guitar ect...) LDC preferred.

Lots of good things said about the at4040 here but I also heard it's crispy/a bit bright.

guys at work recommend the nt2a and I'm curious about the ntk.

I've also heard sterling audio stuff can be nice. I need some advice and somewhat quick- my last day is saturday!

I would go with the 4040... you can always tame the high end on it... and it does sound really good... and for $225, thats probable WAAAAAY better than th nt2a... which i heard was a piece of crap, both in sound and build.

And no offense to you, but I find that most salesman at GC dont know their asses from a hole in the ground.

hey man. i actually don't find the 4040 overly bright at all. its pretty smooth in the high end actually which is probably why so many people like it. i think it delivers plenty of bottom end. compared to my nt1a its really dark if that says anything. i don't think even spending 350.00 would get you a "better" sounding mic, just different. i am planning on buying another 4040 as soon as i can. its a great mic you'll have for a long time. good luck.

I would spend $50 and just insure the U87. Done.

That's an AWESOME idea. I'm gonna look into it. If it costs more to insure for two years than a new mic... new mic it is. If it's only 50 bucks than thats the perfect solution really. Man... I got a lot of thinkin and not much time.

That's an AWESOME idea. I'm gonna look into it. If it costs more to insure for two years than a new mic... new mic it is. If it's only 50 bucks than thats the perfect solution really. Man... I got a lot of thinkin and not much time.
My band insures all of our gear through Musicpro insurance and it comes out to $1 per $100 insured. They may have a minimum premium but I would certainly consider it instead of just getting a place holder mic. If you get a renter's insurance policy that may well cover it as well but I would definitely double/triple check that.

I´d recommend the AKG C-3000. We´re eventually recording vocals and acoustic guitars for our next album these days and it rocks. We used it with a Goldmike MK II and it turned to be a real full-spectrum baby.

OK, used the AT4040 today for the first time, and am really loving the results. Just had a play since the band left with processing the vocals a bit, and they take EQ nicely, and are sounding very clean and smooth. Definitely recommend it. When tracking, singing and higher shouting sounded better, however since playing in the mix with the vocals, the lower stuff sounds pretty cool too.

That's cool. Maybe in the not too distant future I will pick up both this and an sm7 just to expand the mic collection. For now I ended up picking up a used at3035 for 60 bucks. Haven't used it yet but it'll do I'm sure.

That's cool. Maybe in the not too distant future I will pick up both this and an sm7 just to expand the mic collection. For now I ended up picking up a used at3035 for 60 bucks. Haven't used it yet but it'll do I'm sure.

Think you might have been better off spending that money on the insurance to be honest.

If GC does the SE Electronics stuff grab a Z5600.

+1