I need help with a head decision.

XrhythmXripperX

New Metal Member
Jan 2, 2011
My friend and I are starting a band, and the style is going to be similar to Parkway Drive and Killswitch Engage. I ordered an LTD EC1000, and I am getting a custom made cab with Vintage30's from my buddy. My question is what head should I run with? My buddy uses as 5150 head and cab with an LTD h-1001, and I wanna complement his sound. Thanks

5150 would be the obvious choice (and a very good one).
if you don't wanna play the same head as your other guitarist (which can make sense) I'd say get a Krank Krankenstein+ or an EVH 5150III.
if the budget is a bit bigger: nothing beats a 2ch Rectifier (well, nothing but the Earforce Two ;) )

You can't go wrong with a 5150, even the same head would sound different when paired with your new cab, assuming your partner's not running the same cab as you. If you've got the extra dime, get yourself a dual recto. Equals massive wall of guitar, I'd think. And the tone possibilities!

There aren't much better amps than the Dual Recto. Mesa is hella pricey though, which would be why a 5150 might be a decent alternative.

decent alternative...your kidding right? Tone is subjective to the player, not the price. While any of the Solo rectifiers are good, there are things that a 5150 can do that none of them can do and vice versa. It comes down to personal taste and what someone wants to do with their sound. 5150s are a great first choice because they are cheap, the workhorse metal amps and allows you to use that as the reference when looking for that next amp that is better if you don't like it.

decent alternative...your kidding right? Tone is subjective to the player, not the price. While any of the Solo rectifiers are good, there are things that a 5150 can do that none of them can do and vice versa. It comes down to personal taste and what someone wants to do with their sound. 5150s are a great first choice because they are cheap, the workhorse metal amps and allows you to use that as the reference when looking for that next amp that is better if you don't like it.

Not kidding, and seeing as there is already a 5150 in the mix, it may be interesting to have two, just as much as it would to have a Recto alongside it. The alternative I'm referring to is obtaining the Parkway Drive / Killswitch style sound and whether or not OP wants to shell out.

i like the all of the 5150s, original 5150/6505, 5150 II/6505+, and EVH 5150 III better than any rectifier I've ever played or heard in a mix... and here in the US the original 5150 is nearly half the price of a dual rectifier. the 5150 is a no brainer choice to me, especially if you're on a budget.

Reactions: Soulicide81