Some of my recent favorites are:

HIM "Dark Light"
Soul Relic "Love is a Lie We Both Believed"
Vain "On the Line"
Wig Wam "It's Hard to be a Rock N Roller"

Dark Light rules, great album!!!!!

Bear

urinalcakemix said:
Anyone have any non metal reccomendations? I've had plenty of prog/power metal for now, wanna ease off of it a bit, before I get really sick of it!

For some unusual progressive rock stuff you might like Gentle Giant, as for fusion check out Coliseum with Gary Moore, Gamelon and Brand X; lately I've been getting into the Jukka Talonen Band, a little more accessible jazz rock fusion from '79. I'll try to think of some more but it looks like you've got plenty to investigate for now! :)

Cheers,

Neal

Van Der Graaf Generator should work.
Cardiacs (if you can find anything by them)
what Pellaz said above,
ShadesOfGray's stuff
Fair to Midland
Circa Survive
Coheed and Cambria
Frank Zappa
Estradasphere
Secret Chiefs 3
Comus
how about just turning on a Beatles album?
other stuff too

urinalcakemix said:
some nice calls with: McLaughlin, Clarke, Jaco, and Wooten. Al Dimeola and Holdsworth are some of my favs in that jazz fusion ring as well.

Are you familiar with either Cold Blood or Graham Central Station? Some excellent dirty funk that has a more rock base, much more interesting than most traditional slap-bass funk (parliament funkadelic comes to mind).

I just got BET Jazz as well, and Im really liking some of what I hear! Caught some OLD OLD Louis Bellson performances (the father of double bass drumming kids), and it was awesome ot hear him in his hey-day, and be able to SEE it too. as the days pass, BET Jazz is becomming one of my favorite channels. Kind of hard to fathom a BET network being one of my favorite channels these days, but it is!

A couple names I'll be checking out, I love posts like this!

Yeah I dig Al DiMeola as well. I noticed that he's very influential among many guitarists (including John Petrucci). I need to check out more Alan Holdsworth though. I hear more of him, than I actually hear him. :lol: A couple more that you may know of or want to check out are Billy Cobham (drums), Larry Carlton (guitar), John Scofield (guitar). Most of what I've heard, from these guys, with other musicians they've played with, that I'm into, was nice and even impressive. Although I did hear an old Billy Cobham solo CD and it kicked ass! Plus I saw Scofield featured on BET Jazz too. One more bass player you might want to check out is Michael Manring. He did this one song called "Adhan" I believe. It's just solo 4-string fretless piccolo bass (If I remember correctly) with an e-bow. It sounded very middle eastern. He also did a punk funk song with Tim "Herb" Alexander of Primus. You'd never think that a jazz fusion/classical player would do something like that.

I never heard of Cold Blood, but I have heard of Graham Central Station. Larry Graham has been credited as the guy that invented slap bass. I even saw, on BET Jazz, that he did a song with Santana, singing as well as playing bass. I'll have to check out Cold Blood sometime. Since you're into funky stuff, Bootsy Collins (the inventor of funk bass) is still kickin' out some funky jams solo, with George Clinton and some others. And Tower of Power is a GREAT funk band! I saw them open for B.B. King at a "Blues & BBQ Festival" about 10 years ago. Hey that gives me an idea...how 'bout the "Prog, Power & BBQ USA Festival"! AHH...That might not work so well. There would be BBQ sauce all over the merch and ribs bones all over the floor of the pit! :p

I'll have to check out Louis Bellson too. I've never heard of him. Damn! I need to watch BET Jazz more! There's almost always someone catching my ear on there!

Unca Kev said:
I never heard of Cold Blood, but I have heard of Graham Central Station. Larry Graham has been credited as the guy that invented slap bass. I even saw, on BET Jazz, that he did a song with Santana, singing as well as playing bass.

The earliest footage I have ever seen of slap bass is a video of Cab Calloway's "Reefer Man", guy named Al Morgan played bass on the original recording in 1932, I don't know if it was him on the video clip or not. I've been searching the net to find the complete clip, just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating......o_O

If you are looking for something really original, try "Terrestrials" by Atrox which features probably the most original female vocals to be heard on a metal album so far and the music doesn´t fit any metal subgenre either. Well, maybe it´s better to start with "Orgasm", on which the vocals are easier accessible.

For something dark with very intense female vocals, try Fear Of God. There are three mp3s from their debut "Within The Veil" to be found in the "Music"-section.

The Third And The Mortal (especially their first releases "Sorrow", "Tears Laid In Earth", "Painting On Glass"; there are a few soundclips and a full-length videoclip of "Magma" available in the "material"-section)
Madder Mortem
Dreams Of Sanity
Soulslide
Nemesea (full-length mp3 of their song "Threefold Law" is available here)

If you´d like to try some folk (-influenced) stuff from Northern Europe:
Två Fisk Och En Fläsk (mp3s of each album are available here - just click on the album covers)
Gåte ("Iselilja" is my favourite album of this year. You can view a videoclip of "Sjå attende" on their website and download the videoclip of "Bendik & Årolilja" from their debut-album "Jygri".)
Värttinä(videoclip of "Äijö" available on their website)
Suden Aika
Gjallarhorn (mp3s and videoclips available on their website)
Garmarna (videoclips available on theri website)
Hedningarna

Neither metal nor folk, just an interesting album is "Løsrivelse" by the Norwegian vocalist Kari Bremnes - you can listen to soundclips (about 30 seconds) of each song here by clicking on "preview". (The lyrics on this album are poems by the Norwegian painter Edvard Munch according to which he did some of his most famous paintings, including "Skrik" ("The Scream").

I am a huge fan of Swedish style melodic death. Here are my favorite bands:
Older In flames
Older Soilwork
Older Arch Enemy
Older Children of Bodom
Scar Symmetry
Disarmonia Mundi
The Duskfall
Nightrage
check em out- cheers -jonah

A few different things....I apologize if you already know any of these:

Mr. Bungle: Pretty well known avant-garde band, featuring the famed Mike Patton on vocals. :D I recommend the album 'Disco Volante' for your Avant-Garde Jazz needs. Very jazzy, very weird at times, and produced by John Zorn. ^_^ Another of their albums, 'California,' also good avant-garde, but much more accessible. They tackle the different musical styles of California, from songs echoing The Beach Boys to........<_< other famous "California" sounding bands. :p It's one of my all-time favorite albums, and I've had it for over a year. This will also satisfy your need for clean vocals. Disco Volante has vocals of course, but this has even more of a vocal focus. Very catchy, very fun, but also very musically satisfying.

Fantomas - This is Mike Patton's current main project. Unlike Mr. Bungle, everything in Fantomas is written by Mike Patton. If you've ever heard John Zorn's Naked City, this is very much influenced by that. If you know John Zorn, you'll find they have a lot of the same "tricks" that John Zorn uses (flash-card compositions, cartoon music, movie theme covers, noisy segments, etc.), but they definitely have their own sound. Their most accessible is 'The Director's Cut,' which is filled with covers of movie themes ala Fantomas. Besides that, I recommend 'Suspended Animation' and 'Delirium Cordia' (flash-card composition ala Zorn).

Secret Chiefs 3: This is the current main project of former Mr. Bungle and Faith No More guitarist Trey Spruance. I recommend 'Book Of Horizons,' their most recent album. The idea here is that Trey has created several different "bands," and they each have 2-4 songs on the album, in completely different styles. A few are.....classical sounding compositions, soundtracky music, death metal, indian music......it's interesting.

I'll post some more later. ^_^

Mr. Bungle: Pretty well known avant-garde band, featuring the famed Mike Patton on vocals. I recommend the album 'Disco Volante' for your Avant-Garde Jazz needs. Very jazzy, very weird at times, and produced by John Zorn. ^_^ Another of their albums, 'California,' also good avant-garde, but much more accessible. They tackle the different musical styles of California, from songs echoing The Beach Boys to........<_< other famous "California" sounding bands. It's one of my all-time favorite albums, and I've had it for over a year. This will also satisfy your need for clean vocals. Disco Volante has vocals of course, but this has even more of a vocal focus. Very catchy, very fun, but also very musically satisfying.

Bungle rule....been into them for a long time but my interest was just rekindled recently when a friend gave me a heap of bootlegged dvds of them (including them in 1985 at a high school talent show).
My fave is still their self titled cd for certain reasons...and their demos OU818 and Goddamit,I love America are worth checking out if you can find them...the earlier demos are a bit harder to get into for song and recording quality.

Burkhard said:
If you are looking for something really original, try "Terrestrials" by Atrox which features probably the most original female vocals to be heard on a metal album so far and the music doesn´t fit any metal subgenre either. Well, maybe it´s better to start with "Orgasm", on which the vocals are easier accessible.

For something dark with very intense female vocals, try Fear Of God. There are three mp3s from their debut "Within The Veil" to be found in the "Music"-section.

The Third And The Mortal (especially their first releases "Sorrow", "Tears Laid In Earth", "Painting On Glass"; there are a few soundclips and a full-length videoclip of "Magma" available in the "material"-section)
Madder Mortem
Dreams Of Sanity
Soulslide
Nemesea (full-length mp3 of their song "Threefold Law" is available here)

If you´d like to try some folk (-influenced) stuff from Northern Europe:
Två Fisk Och En Fläsk (mp3s of each album are available here - just click on the album covers)
Gåte ("Iselilja" is my favourite album of this year. You can view a videoclip of "Sjå attende" on their website and download the videoclip of "Bendik & Årolilja" from their debut-album "Jygri".)
Värttinä(videoclip of "Äijö" available on their website)
Suden Aika
Gjallarhorn (mp3s and videoclips available on their website)
Garmarna (videoclips available on theri website)
Hedningarna

Neither metal nor folk, just an interesting album is "Løsrivelse" by the Norwegian vocalist Kari Bremnes - you can listen to soundclips (about 30 seconds) of each song here by clicking on "preview". (The lyrics on this album are poems by the Norwegian painter Edvard Munch according to which he did some of his most famous paintings, including "Skrik" ("The Scream").

Gate and Varttina stuck out to me, thanks. I'll be checkng out more of thier stuff. Got any more suggestions?

Taliwakker said:
Its pretty funny...on one of them Patton looks into the camera and tells the guy off for filming them with a big smile on his face.

Yeah, I have four video ones. I don't have that one though, the earliest I have is the '89 Gurneville video.

The Bizarre Fest TV Broadcast is the best non-official documentation of Mr. Bungle as far as I'm concerned. I just wish I could replace the lossy one I have with DVD.