I need to pick your brain!

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Hey gang. This is driving me crazy so I need your help figuring out something.

Check out this song by Manta Ray:

I am trying to figure out the vocalist this guy reminds me of, dead ringer. It's something old school and it's right on the tip of my BRAIN but I can't figure it.

He's especially reminiscent around the 1:20 mark and 1:30 mark. The scream around 1:32 in particular is a DEAD ringer for another vocalist, it's the particular harmony he's doing there.

Any ideas who I am trying to think of!?

Last edited:
Midnight is what comes to mind most of that CD to me. especially on the mid-tempo tracks. Hell of a lot of Crimson Glory vibe, but I assume you are thinking more obscure than that.

He sounds like combination of Rob Rock late 80's/early 90's and Carl Albert. In the part of the song you mentioned he is Carl Albert 100%

WINNERS! Carl Albert is exactly who I was thinking of - thank you!

Old School forum also helped me get the other piece - Bobby Hicks (RIP!) from old Mystic Force.

EDIT: A plug for ol' Matt and his label - these Bootcamp series releases are realllllly cool - highly recommend picking up the 4 and 5 pack!

WINNERS! Carl Albert is exactly who I was thinking of - thank you!

Old School forum also helped me get the other piece - Bobby Hicks (RIP!) from old Mystic Force.

EDIT: A plug for ol' Matt and his label - these Bootcamp series releases are realllllly cool - highly recommend picking up the 4 and 5 pack!

glad you are digging them! we will have more installments coming in April/May with REIGN, SAVAGE CHOIR, ENFORCE, ENERTIA, WITCH MEADOW, NIGHT IN GALES and more!!

How do you decide which bands you're doing these for and how receptive have the bands been - any big declines?

Some bands I knew about and others have been suggested to me on either this forum or from friends elsewhere. Nobody huge has turned me down yet, but still trying to convince members from EROTIKILL and THEE FINAL CHAPTRE to do the series with their previously indie cassette releases. Hopefully they will come through one day. WULFHOOK was a current band I was chatting with to release all their previous demos, but we couldn't come to an agreement on what material should be released and I moved on.

Most bands are quite appreciative of the second chance at more exposure and people enjoying the music they create (that is speaking for the older bands). The new bands are just happy to get their albums released physically and to a wider audience. so it's a win/win for everyone involved (i hope). :)