I Publicly Shared ALL Of My Studio's Income, Expenses and Tax Numbers From 2014.

I like how Alex Wilkinson comes in wearing a pink bowtie talking shit off the bat:

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-02%20at%202.18.14%20PM.png

This was a really good read, though - thanks for sharing. It's really clear how business-minded you are with every step of it, which is why you're one of the few making it work.

Very good read! It makes me feel more confident and aware of business side of things. Not only because I learn of lot of tips, etc. but also because I sometimes go through really bad moments thinking I'm far from good enough to make a living out of my home-studio... (you know, this "I am a damn shitty mixer' kind of phase). So thanks for that!

Good read for sure. So, even making $122,000 per year from the studio, Minus expenses and taxes, that came out to a take home pay of $45,721.

You can't even buy much blow and hookers for that!!!!

Good read for sure. So, even making $122,000 per year from the studio, Minus expenses and taxes, that came out to a take home pay of $45,721.

You can't even buy much blow and hookers for that!!!!

yeah, but still better than working 7days/week in 4-shift system,
totally ruining your health and earning less...:lol:

You can afford a lot more than you think.

1. Get the cheapest of both that you can find.
2. Find a way to make it a tax write-off
3. ???
4. Fuckit

1- Baking Soda
2- Possible Tranny hookers…….
3-……Profit???

Pretty great blog post, man. I have to admit I am humongously envious. I have been a freelance audio engineer for about 6 years (on the side, during college and a "real job"). I've been an audio engineer for longer than that, but that's about when things started to pick up client-wise (relatively speaking).

This past year, I decided to make it a full-time gig and try to develop the business because I really want this to work. Things have been slowly getting better as the years pass, but let's just say I am making a fraction of what you are. The frequency of projects is just too little, I think. I have repeat clients, and I think my rates are pretty normal, but just not enough clients overall to make this an actual career. If you have any advice I am ALL EARS. Audio is what I love, but I can't seem to pull in the sheer number of clients that would be necessary to make this work. Like you, I do mostly mixing and mastering. Recording and full productions are more rare.

Nice work Brian. $10 income for misc in feb is a but sus.

Hahaha we don't talk about that....
February was a.....dark month.

If you have any advice I am ALL EARS. Audio is what I love, but I can't seem to pull in the sheer number of clients that would be necessary to make this work. Like you, I do mostly mixing and mastering. Recording and full productions are more rare.

I'll keep this short, just because I don't know a whole lot about you, your particular situation, or client base.

The first thing I would do is create a website with a quote request form. You always want somewhere to point potential clients to check out your previous work, and possibly photos of you and your studio. Facebook's entire layout and flow is absolute shit in general, but ESPECIALLY for recording studios.

The 2nd thing I would do is make sure it's easy to find some examples of your work. I spent a couple of minutes looking for some examples of your mixes, and I couldn't find anything. This is pretty much a death sentence for anyone that's trying to check you out online.

I'll keep this short, just because I don't know a whole lot about you, your particular situation, or client base.

The first thing I would do is create a website with a quote request form. You always want somewhere to point potential clients to check out your previous work, and possibly photos of you and your studio. Facebook's entire layout and flow is absolute shit in general, but ESPECIALLY for recording studios.

The 2nd thing I would do is make sure it's easy to find some examples of your work. I spent a couple of minutes looking for some examples of your mixes, and I couldn't find anything. This is pretty much a death sentence for anyone that's trying to check you out online.

Good points, and thanks! Ironically, I just created a website today to try to help out with this. It will probably take awhile for it to show up on google, but there's a Clients/Work page with a big list/gallery of album art, and I'm going to link to the various bands' bandcamp pages, etc.