I recorded a Mesa Roadster tonight...

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
No wonder you guys use Mesas, it was like tits and ass combined! :headbang: We recorded this 80s kinda glam rock/metal and the Mesa had a really nice tones for rhythm guitars, but atleast the unit we had was quite prone to noise.

We used a Gibson Les Paul Studio (standard tuning) and the Mesa was connected to a Marshall Mode Four cabined with stock elements (I think it uses Celestion whitebacks?) that we miced with Neumann U87, Sennheiser MD421 and Shure SM57 into Focusrite Octopre with highpass filter engaged. Eventho the U87 costs like 3000 bucks, we ended up ditching it in the recording process because it just sounded like fizzy shit. Sometimes you just don't need all the details and the full bandwith that some mics deliver.

But the MD421 near the edge gave the guitar a really nice, round and fuller tone when we blended it in with the SM57 that was near the center of the cone. We tried to record the DI track too, but the mics on the Les Paul were so hot that we couldn't get a good and solid signal without clipping eventho we had the gain on the preamp at minimum (The preamp or the DI didn't have a pad on them).

I'll be mixing the song on easter holidays, so I'll let you hear a short snippet then so you can comment on the mix. And sorry, no channel setups, didn't write them down. But I remember that we used the bottom row and turned the presence, treble and bass down and gain quite a lot down.