I should interview Micheal Romeo

That's called strings "action".

I don't think that's the main factor since the 'looseness' is probably compensated for by using higher gauge (thicker) strings.

I may sound like a noob, but I wasn´t aware of that, thank you sir.

Personally I think DGCFAD is good to stick with for their style with a good balance between dark/heavy and not retarded.

Agreed

I don't think that's the main factor since the 'looseness' is probably compensated for by using higher gauge (thicker) strings.

I think the looseness is a factor for MJR; he uses the 10-46 gauge which feels like butter when tuned to D standard.

I personally think standard tuning does lack heaviness/darkness for certain styles.

Also I'm all for alternative tunings when used by guitarists who know how to come up with interesting things. See Devin Townsend and Jeff Kollman.

I think the looseness is a factor for MJR; he uses the 10-46 gauge which feels like butter when tuned to D standard.

For you maybe.

For me I'd say 09-42 would maybe feel like butter but not 10-46. I use the latter with D standard tuning and it feels like standard action to me, not too tight, not too loose.

You guys do realize that your finger stretching is the limitation, not tuning? Intrinsically no tuning is "heavier" or "darker". They are only referred to in that manner because of the accompanying fingering styles, amp settings, composition, etc. It's like saying black guitars are "heavier". =\

^you got a point, but I don't know about that comparison. Guitar color has got nothing to do with how it sounds, tuning has everything to do with its:

1) register (if just tuned down like with D standard)
and
2) the kind of chords/harmonization you can practically play (if using more 'alternative' tunings)

Both factors do play a role in what we call "heaviness/darkness".

Interesting example:

He uses that tuning in most of his Cosmosquad material. Notice the unique 'sound' he came up with thanks to it. Kinda "broad" and "dark", not just because the 6th string is tuned down but also because of the kind of harmonization it allows you to emphasize.

What I'm personally against is people tuning down their guitars a shitload just so they sound more metal and badass. They play the same stuff, just in much lower pitches. Not so musical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cosmosquad is pretty boss, for sure. For me though, why tune down to be "heavy" when that's the bassist's territory? I suppose you have a point about the tonality if you're using open chords.

What I'm personally against is people tuning down their guitars a shitload just so they sound more metal and badass. They play the same stuff, just in much lower pitches. Not so musical.

Agreed.

The problem I have with this is that the lower the guitars tune, the lower the bass has to tune, and thus the actual bass lines sound like a sloppy mess unless it's just notes ringing out. The only way around this is for the bass to play the line an octave higher, but over a crunchy guitar line, that just sounds like shit.

The only way around this is for the bass to play the line an octave higher

:( Ew.

I don't mean to pry, but do you have any examples of this happening you could name offhand?