I think I'm getting better, but not there yet, little help?

NoDestiny

Jul 14, 2009
http://www.mediafire.com/?y2twdtiozm4
OR
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3597027/Adva...oom v1.7.mp3

OK, so I have done a lot of changes in the way I record/mix, along with getting my hands on some decent monitors (VS mixing w/ headphones before), not to mention built some bass traps and threw em all over the place :D

Also, first time doing quad tracking (its 100% L/R and I think 80% L/R). Dual SM57 setup each track (but forgot to put the tubescreamer on! DOH!)

Bass was mic'd w/ 3 different mics (midrange, woofer, and condenser back a few feet)

Drums are triggered through apTrigga, but also 2 overhead condensers.

Vocals on Rode NT-1 into a stack of my fiberglass bass trap panels.

I did compression/hard limiter on the final mix, but if that makes it harder to tell the actual mix (or I F'd that up bad enough), lemme know and ill take that off and just post the mix.

Any advice to make this better? I have no doubt somebody can fill me in on some ideas.

Thanx guys.

Drums don't sound too bad, although too much verb on the snare.

Thoes guitars are awful though, seriously. And you're going to need some serious distortion to make that vocalist sound decent.

And use dropbox next time.

DOH! I used mediafire like a year ago because its what was recommended :( Ill sign up on dropbox right now, though.

Yeah, I need to find a better snare sample, there is NO reverb on it!

What kind of distortion are we talking on the vox? Anything included in Reaper you would recommend?

The guitars have been hard, because I'm working with what we have. On this setup, it was a Peavey 212 Transfex, but hooked to a custom made 4 12 cab w/ Texas Heat's. Clean settings on the amp, then FX chain using the Metal Muff pedal. Guitar = Warlock Acrylic w/ Evolution pickups. I realize non of this is optimal in terms of equipment, but spending money on new equipment isn't exactly optional.

OK I'm not sure if this is the right way to link to the dropbox one (never used this program/site before)

Thanx. On the guitars, what, exactly, needs to change? This is where I feel clueless, because we've played with a bunch of settings and I just don't know what the "proper" tone is going to sound like. I hear tons of great tones on here, but have no clue how to replicate that tone w/ the equipment we currently have.
I'm curious on the vox as well, not sure whats "wrong" with them... re-recording them isn't going to do me much good if I don't know what I need to change.

Sorry for being so demanding, I just want some very specific details on how to "fix" these things instead of doing the same thing over again, ya know? I appreciate your guy's input.