I want a doom metal guitar that I can tune down to B...

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
...and I was previously hell-bent on getting an Epiphone Explorer because Explorers just kick fucking ass all over the place, but then I saw this Peavey Rotor EX thing, Explorer clone with some additional cuts here and there to avoid lawsuits probably, and isn't she a fucking beauty? Special price atm, $263 which is far less than the Epi, and no gold hardware either (I don't like gold hardware) and good ol' tune-o-matic bridge and plain mahogany finish:

00579130.jpg

LOL LOL DRROL DROOL I want this :cry: or does anyone who knows better think this will suck and I'd be better off with an Epi for playing really slow & hevvy doom FUCKING metal? Methinks probably I'd pay a bit for the brand with the Epi, even though Epi in itself is a cheapo brand, sorta...

Useless thread eh :)

do it yourself then! fuck members haha.. bands always have drama and breakup.

as far as doom goes, i know nothing on how to create doom. if anyone would like to write up a faq, or teach me a little on the techniques im more than open to hearing some of the tricks of the trade myself.

ill join when im in sweden over the summer for 2 months! haha, but also i always felt weird about getting guitars made by amp companies.

Epiphone les pauls are good for the money, i know you said you wanted an explorer though...ive just never played and Epi Explorer....

Erik... my friend has an Ibanez Destroyer that I was originally supposed to get from him (but it didn't work out). He'll let it go for $200, so perhaps we should discuss this some time on IRC.

(I recall you saying that you wouldn't mind getting one of these)

Erik said:
A
Well yeah, actually maybe it's mildly silly to buy a guitar for its body shape

i think people that always say that are stupid. Of course its good to buy a guitar with a body you think looks cool. If you pick up your guitar and go FUCKING SWEET THIS IS AWSOME LOOKING AND I FEEL LIKE I CAN SHRED YOUR EYES OUT YESSSS!!!!! your going to play better.

(and im seriouse about jamming some doom if i ever get my ass over there woo)

Looks of a guitar are like looks of a woman, sure it isn't the most important quality but what else makes you get up there and grind into the body over and over again night after night?

I have no idea about 7-strings, I played one once and said "this fretboard sucks."

Oh okay, cool. For some reason I just assumed you were looking for a 7, but good that you're not because only dudes like Trey Azagthoth need 7 strings to catch up with his 7 hands. o_O

Have you looked into baritone guitars or a 6-string bass (not a bass, I think Fender makes these)? Either that or find something with a longer scale, I'm not sure how frequent that is on guitar, but I know basses come in various scales depending on how low the strings get.

Doom guitars should be old looking, or battered up a bit I think. It's almost like you have to go with the 'classic' look. Playing doom on a shiny new Ibanez is all wrong for example.

The mahogany look on that Explorer is a step in the right direction...

Eric: Are you going for a 6 or 7 string? If you just want six, I think that Peave would be excellent for the price. Guitars in that price range are WAY better than they were when I first started playing about 15 years ago. I'd actually recommend the Peavey over the Epiphone. I believe Epiphones are about 50% "name" and 50% quality. Peavey continually pumps out quality instruments, amps, etc.

If you're not going strictly for looks, though, you might take a look at Schechter's. They are in your price range, and they are good quality.

Of course the best thing you could do is get a custom Carvin, www.carvin.com.

On a serious note, the most important thing about a "doom metal" guitar, I believe, is going to be the woods used on the guitar. DO NOT get anything with maple, poplar, or even ash or alder in the body. Alder could be adequate for you, but for that ultra thick and nasty sound you are looking for you need mahogany in the body (and the neck preferably). Koa is similar in sound to mahogany, but it is probably out of your price range. Also . . . neck through body guitars will help thicken the sound, as opposed to a slightly brighter sound from a bolt on neck. Definitely try to get a neck thru.

www.harmonycentral.com should have reviews on about anything you are looking for. They also have an excellent discussion board where you can get all your questions answered.

There's only one review for the Peavey (very positive):
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Peavey/Rotor_Ex-01.html

It says it comes with an ebony fret board! Now I'm definitely recommending that guitar over the over-priced Epiphone.

Here's the Epiphone reviews:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Epiphone/Explorer-01.html

Go for the Peavey for sure.

Erik said:
Exactly what I was thinking, cheers for confirming it. Now I have to put the Ibanez Deströyer that Marksveld's friend has into the equation though, so we'll see... I rather fell in love at first sight with the Peavey though.

And about the body woods -- I'd be getting the Peavey that's pure mahogany (and indeed, neck-through,) because that one comes with tune-o-matic bridge and the red and black ones come with Floyd Roses which I don't want. Again, thanks for the thoughts.

JayKeeley: exactly, you can't play doom on flashy/new guitars... :p Though the Skepticism guitarist had some weird upper-range Ibanez RG model, looked sort of like some sort of signature thing, at least it had some flashy finish. Not very DÖÖÖÖM but Skepticism fucking rule eh.

Wow! That Peavey sounds pretty tempting at that price. I also know that the Ibanez Destroyer is an excellent guitar. I've played one quite a bit, but I can't remember if it was neck thru.

Another positive of a neck thru is the neck strength. The strings you will need to use to tune down to B are going to be some big ol' bastards. They will put some extra tension on the neck, and the truss rod will probably need to be adjusted. A bolt on guitar will bend at the bold over time. A neck thru will be perfectly fine. I've had my Carvin, neck thru, tuned to A or B for years at a time with no problems at all. I used .56 though .13 strings I believe. That's as big as you can get without going to a 7 string gauge (.60) and wasting a string.

It'd be stupid to start my own guitar thread, so here's my question:

I am completely self taught when it comes to playing the guitar. I can play pretty much what I want with normal tuning (normally hardcore, skatepunk, Darkthrone and Kill 'em All era Metallica). The grindcore riffs for my band, Cripple Decapitation, can also be played using standard tuning. However, I feel the time has come to downtune my guitar so that I can play some death metal.

How the hell do I downtune it? Some plonker once told me that I had to go to the music store to buy new guitar strings before I could even THINK about downtuning it. Can anyone help?

Henrik Main said:
How the hell do I downtune it? Some plonker once told me that I had to go to the music store to buy new guitar strings before I could even THINK about downtuning it. Can anyone help?

Generally, yes, you need to get thicker strings to handle the low end or else they'll go floppy and real crap-like. It also depends on how low you're going to want to go. Nate's post has some good advice.

MajestikMøøse said:
Generally, yes, you need to get thicker strings to handle the low end or else they'll go floppy and real crap-like. It also depends on how low you're going to want to go. Nate's post has some good advice.

Thanks a lot. I'll see what I'll do. My budget = the suck, because there is always some expensive computer part that needs an upgrade or something, as well as albums I want :erk:

Why is music equipment so damn cheap nowadays? I'm not complaining AT ALL, I'm just curious.

Example, a neckthru Peavey for $263. 10 years ago a $263 guitar was about as cheap as you wanted to go, I played a $79 guitar a few months ago that wasn't just fine, but actually good!