I want to give a good christmas present, help me help my guy out!

GummyBearTraps

New Metal Member
Nov 2, 2013
Hi Sneap Forums, I hope you can help. I'm sorry if I don't make sense or sound like a total noob. Bear with me! I'm trying!

My boyfriend is a musician and has a whole room devoted to his instruments and recording gear. He does mostly heavy metal/prog metal stuff. He's been complaining about his speakers lately, but has a really crappy job and has pretty much written off buying good ones for quite a while.

He's talked often about "studio monitors" as being really good speakers because they don't change the sound at all, and that other speakers have too much bass or something. I'm not into recording, so I'll take his word for it.

My quick search shows that "studio monitor" is a brand or classification of speakers, I thought it would be just one kind of speaker! Blah!! Can someone recommend me a good set of speakers (preferably of the "studio monitor" quality) I can get him? My price range for both, total would be $200-$500.

Thanks in advance :wave:

Thanks for the rec! I'll keep an eye out for good used ones. Aw, shucks. Thanks, I just think its hilarious that I am indulging his/giving him gas.

I'll give a +1 to the Equators, but they are the only monitors I know so I can't give any type of comparison. Heard a lot of good stuff about the Yamahas though.

I think my D5's were like $450 new, with carrying case, iso pads, and cables.

And also, this:

Just for the record, you are a fucking awesome girlfriend.

So it looks like it's split between equators and the yamahas. The desk is not very big, how much room do the yamahas take up?

So it looks like it's split between equators and the yamahas. The desk is not very big, how much room do the yamahas take up?

They're pretty big - Mine measure 15" tall, 12" deep, 10" wide.

I'd recommend the Yamahas over the D5s, too. Hell, maybe you'll find the ones that replaced them, the HS8s in your budget, ya never know :yuk:

I downgraded from a pair of Adams monitors that cost more than $3000 new to my Yamahas, and my mixes have never been better.

The 80s are preeetty damn big. The 50s could be a better fit but will lack low end extension. The new HS7 could be a good compromise but it's $600 new for a pair and there aren't many on the used market since they JUST came out.