I want to talk about the surviving members of Pantera.

I love bands that evolve! stagnancy = death

*heeds Cara's advice and goes searchin*

Really? I thought their first sound was glam. Cowboys and after don't sound like glam.

Personally, I think a lot of people simply liked the Cowboys and after sound, so they simply "forgot" the glam stuff.

At least that's what I gather from other message boards.

Personally I don't care one way or another, just curious.

all that makes 'power metal' "glam" is some sissy vocals here and there, and some keyboards. but its just as pantera as any of the other albums. the solos on power metal just slayyyyy :kickass:

and this?:

band.jpg

:loco:

meh, i thought TGST was pretty awesome back in the day. as well as VDoP and FBD. dunno much about CFH though. however, i always thought their songs, both lyrically and compositionally were incredibly silly and naive. i think that's why my friends and i enjoyed them so much. i mean, listen to "walk" and "good friends and a bottle of pills". haha! totally ridiculous! Trendkill seems more mature to me though. more serious. great album.

As for the other members though...they kinda sucked. Vinnie did *nothing* original or impressive and Rex simply filled a role. i always thought his bass sounded really really bad and that was when i could hear it. Phil = amusing but nothing special or original. Dimebag is an entirely different story. no comments necessary, i hope.

for you maybe. i'm a bassist. rex's stuff is pure shit. doesn't really mean anything. so, do you disagree that vinnie was not innovative in the least? i just never heard the guy do anything unusual or interesting. you might have a different opinion on that. however, technical prowess is one thing (and i still think vinnie just plays fast rudimentary stuff) and artistic integrity and creativity are another.

Not innovative like Neil Peart or anything but competent, technical, and had great FEEL. Can't comment on Rex. Don't play bass. :)

Man, I don't know how any bass player can't dig on Rex's work on Vulgar and Far Beyond Driven, he totally held down the groove when Dime was way up on the fretboard. Was he flashy? Nah, but he was damn solid on those two albums.

I've been playing bass for.... damn 13 years in September. Whoa.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Not innovative like Neil Peart or anything but competent, technical, and had great FEEL. Can't comment on Rex. Don't play bass. :)
i'll take your word on it. i don't know about "feel" though. i don't play drums so i don't really understand.

The reasonably good Pantera albums are "Projects in the Jungle", "Metal Magic " (despite the bad artwork) and "I Am the Night"

The Bad Pantera albums are "Power Metal" (first one with Phil), Far Beyond Driven (the kind of aggressive beercore Rapists would love) and Reinventing the Steel

BenMech said:
The reasonably good Pantera albums are "Projects in the Jungle", "Metal Magic " (despite the bad artwork) and "I Am the Night"

The Bad Pantera albums are "Power Metal" (first one with Phil), Far Beyond Driven (the kind of aggressive beercore Rapists would love) and Reinventing the Steel

that's great :lol:

AHah in capital letters :lol:

Not a fan of Pantera who speaks but isn't the general dismissal of Reinveinting the Steel a little too much? (sure its not a classic but some tracks are decent)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Reinventing the Steel, it was just a retread for them, like they were running out of ideas.

<<Trendkill seems more mature to me though. more serious. great album>>

Are you sure? I remember Phil ranting like a hate consumed prick in a manner only a beer guzzling confederate flag waver could love through at least half of it, and I always thought they had poor arrangements, especially after Vulgar.