I wonder if Roger Waters, etc. has heard any Anathema?

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
Seriously, Pink Floyd are GREAT! But some songs truly suck, IMO....I think the two Pink Floyd songs that are of brilliance are stuff like "Hey You" & "Cluster One."

Anyway, I see lots of Pink Floyd influence in Anathema and Pink Floyd garnered MUCH success. Thing is, Anathema are SO much better. They took that style and brought MORE emotion and power with their style. One of the greatest bands ever, and like...no one even knows who they are. You know? That sucks....that REALLY sucks.

I wonder what Roger Waters (mastermind of Pink Floyd) would think of Anathema's music?

When I hear stuff from Alternative-4 & Judgement, it's just too powerful for words......

Any thoughts?

no pink floyd song sucks at all..."some of them are not as good as others" is a better way to put it, i believe. and it's highly debatable whether anathema is "better" than pink floyd. and after all, they are two very different bands, i think. compare pink floyd and camel, for instance. or marillion. but not, anathema.

Can you HONESTLY say that Pink Floyd and Anathema are two completely different bands? I could compare Camel to King Crimson, but NOT Anathema. One is prog-rock the other is more emo-rock.

If you cannot see the Pink Floyd influence in Anathema...well, I just cannot believe it. Half the stuff off Eternity is soooo Pink Floydish, as well as the beginning of Emotional Winter and Forgotten Hopes. Except, Anathema does it better. Sure, people's tastes vary...but Anathema appeals to me much more.

And yes, there are plenty of Pink Floyd songs I find downright cheesy. The "Another Brick on the Walls" don't do a thing for me....

Hey You is a masterpiece!

"i wanna emo rock" just doesnt sound the same :ill:

deesnidertwistedsisternotgo.jpg

i guess roger is a fine lad and that he would appreciate the thing they're doing.

you're right there is a smell of PF in anathema. but its just a smell. people got carried away too much with the fact they breath the same atmosphere...

I cannot compare the two bands... But I've been listening to Pink Floyd for over ten years now (since I was bout 10) and I can say that this band cannot be compared to any other band. Roger Waters and David Gilmour are two of the most brilliant musical minds ever. The world would not have been the same if it wasn't for "Atom Heart Mother" or "Dark Side Of The Moon". I have been listening to Anathema for about 4 years, and I love them. But in no-way can they be compared to Pink Floyd.

As for answering the threads topic, you can only find out by asking Waters :D

Take care...

Alcapoth said:
Can you HONESTLY say that Pink Floyd and Anathema are two completely different bands? I could compare Camel to King Crimson, but NOT Anathema. One is prog-rock the other is more emo-rock.

If you cannot see the Pink Floyd influence in Anathema...well, I just cannot believe it. Half the stuff off Eternity is soooo Pink Floydish, as well as the beginning of Emotional Winter and Forgotten Hopes. Except, Anathema does it better. Sure, people's tastes vary...but Anathema appeals to me much more.

And yes, there are plenty of Pink Floyd songs I find downright cheesy. The "Another Brick on the Walls" don't do a thing for me....

Hey You is a masterpiece!

i never said there was no PL influence in anathema.

the thing with "another brick" is that it's been played SO many times. everyone thinks it's the only song pink floyd ever did. so wrong.

Mariner said:
i guess roger is a fine lad and that he would appreciate the thing they're doing.

you're right there is a smell of PF in anathema. but its just a smell. people got carried away too much with the fact they breath the same atmosphere...

i agree. a song like Comfortably Numb is just a tribute to the
influence they have on Anathema's music. As do loads of other
bands, probably quite a few from the 60/70s. And they used
to be a doom band.

Well, when I said emo rock I meant music that is emotional, you know? Obviously Anathema has a very emotional sadness and feeling of loss in their music....that's all I really meant. If it sounds awkward, well...maybe it does, I don't know....

And yeah, the smell of Pink Floyd - I agree with this statement. There's just a hint of their influence there.....

Ok, the world not being the same without those Pink Floyd albums? Wha? I'm sensing these guys are quite over rated as well...why do people praise certain individuals SO highly, I just don't understand...? This is probably part of the reason I hate much of the music in the mainstream nowadays. I also heard statements saying such things as, "has Pink Floyd changed your life?" Damn, seriously...the music is NOT that great, overall.

Another thing...best-selling album is Thriller by Michael Jackson. Is it REALLY that great? Psh...hell no. In fact, only good song is Billie Jean. It was just that moment for him...who knows?

I don't know, somehow this begins to kinda tick me off!

yeah thriller is an ace album.

and alcapoth, you obviously need to listen to PL more carefully. i'd suggest you pop "dark side of the moon" in and pay attention to every single detail. every note, every pop of the bass, every single line of lyrics. that is PERFECTION.

thriller is a good album... i have the LP somewhere here too. and billy jean is the only good song? what about 'thriller' then. its even better.... and 'the girl is mine'. though i like dangerous much more

I'd venture saying that Anathema may be dismissed by many as a sentimental band who overdo emotions. A matter of taste, I should say.

Hmmm, hehehe...I must admit, that was definitely MJ's more cooler days. He's such a...I don't know. He's "different" now. I'll just put it that way.....Thriller is average (except Billie Jean = classic!), but it still amazes me this is history's BIGGEST selling album.

And btw, I heard ALL of Dark Side of the Moon...have it on vinyl, rather...my bro has it on vinyl. Damn, I have always despised the song "Money." Damn, musically, it just does nothing for me....

Though, another song I DO like by Pink Floyd is Goodbye Blue Sky...great melody, vocal lines and lyrics.....it's no Hey You, though.

I'll definitely give Dark Side another go, though (doubt it will be perfection in my eyes? Such a "strong" word)...was this their MOST successful album by any chance?