I would like to begin playing bass...

Gonfeldurok

Slayer of the n00bs
Dec 13, 2003
Saugus, MA, USA
And figured this would be a good place to ask how people got their start/ any suggestions on equipment, books, etc.

I've been playing drums about 5 years (w/ lessons) and I take a guitar class in school, but every time I pick up a bass I just feel the need to play the hell out of it, even though I might suck while doing it. Anyway, can't control this any longer and I've finally got some money.

So what do you guys suggest I buy for a decent low-end price/quality bass (and should I buy an amp too?) I'm already in a pretty solid band where I play drums, so that's most likely always going to be my primary instrument, which is why I don't need an extremely high-quality bass or anything like that.

Thanks for any advice.

I don't think you need any lessons with bass, just start to play it and do same kind of exercises you do with guitar and you'll get there. Yep Ibanez is great for it's price. Yes somekind of amp would be good to have but you might consider going direct to the PA or when recording, direct to the soundcard(that's with active basses of course). But by going direct, you won't get very good tone, you should have effect pedal(s) or somekind of preamp to get good tone.

i have an esp b204, and its a good bass. i really like it. but really, it would help if you gave us a price range. honestly, you can't go wrong with a fender. there isn't much to decide, p bass or j bass. just play 'em both and go from there. i prefer the p bass, but the j is fine as well.

Gonfeldurok said:
And figured this would be a good place to ask how people got their start/ any suggestions on equipment, books, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Bang for the buck in six string is Ibanez. For bass, I think Peavey if it is inexpensive in your area. The cheap Peavey Foundation basses play nice, but seriously need pickups.

Bryant

Never play bass with a pick?

That's very closed minded. A good bassist should learn every technique he can, and the tone you can get from a pick is sometimes infinitely better than the tone you get from fingerstyle.

It depends on what genre you're planning on playing, but this is ultimate METAL forum, so i think we can all guess. If you're not looking to spend too much, then i'd recomend the ESP (LTD) F-104 as a good starter bass. If price isn't too much of an object, I'd recommend a nice Spector. Go to your local shop or the nearest Guitar Center and just try out a few brands.

As I said, a good bass player should look to play all styles, regardless of the genre they intend to play.

It's very likely that any bass player will have to do lots of session work before being picked up by a band that is going places in the metal world (prog metal especially), and if you're going to be working for other people, they are going to tell you what they want, and you'll have to do it, or go without money.

Playing bass with a pick isn't a "style of playing" in its own right in my opinion. You can achieve the typical pick-ish sound easily by boosting the treble and playing close to the bridge PU... no need to use a pick, which just complicates certain techniques.