IA out, Simon and Mike in

Dan Swanö

The Watcher
Nov 3, 2001
www.swano.com
Due to lack of time, Mattias IA Eklundh had to leave a raincheck on the solos for Crimson II. I was lucky to find a suitable replacement in
Simon Johansson (Memory Garden/Firegod) and Mike Wead (King Diamond/Mercyful Fate/Firegod)
These guys are working as we speak and hopefully it will work out as planned, deadline is soon!!!!

D

It's a shame Eklundh won't make it. His work with Freak Kitchen is beyond godly. What a talented player. I am, however, glad to hear Mike Wead's on the bill now. He's a great producer too.

We look forward to Crimson II, Dan.

Yeah. I think IA would have done some cool stuff, but after hearing both Simon and Wead's stuff on earlier albums..It could be even more suitable for the style of Crimson II. I hope IA will guest a little on Second Sky though..I dig his style

Dan Swanö said:
Yeah. I think IA would have done some cool stuff, but after hearing both Simon and Wead's stuff on earlier albums..It could be even more suitable for the style of Crimson II. I hope IA will guest a little on Second Sky though..I dig his style

Good choices, I'd say, for replacements, particularly Mr. Wead. A workaholic guy who never, ever seems to quit. Oh yeah, he's good. I don't think Diamond would have it any other way!

Bummer about IA, though. I mean, I can't get enough of his solo on "Needlefeast" by Soilwork. Ah well, at least you're still growling! Besides, Crimson version 1.0 wasn't really about the guitar leads anyway, and that album turned out a little bit better than okay. :)

I agree IA's playing is wild. His technique being over the top, he sometimes seems to play just to show off a bit. At least that's how his solo album Freak Guitar sounds to me. He's like Steve Vai a bit, if you know what I mean. I'm not a big fan of his playing when he goes for the weird sounds he produces with the guitar, but you have to give it to him that his technique is godly. Also, since Crimson II was written by Dan, I would guess IA would have followed Dan's instruction about how he should play on it. I highly doubt his playing would resemble any of his solo work. Like I said, IA is like Vai. He's an amazing player, he could probably play everything there is to play, it's just that his style doesn't appeal to everyone. Maybe if someone else wrote the songs for him or asked him to play in a certain style, we would enjoy it a lot more. And Crimson II could have been that opportunity. Also he played on the debut Evergrey disc The Dark Discovery on a song if recollection serves. And that solo in there is brilliant me thinks.