ICED EARTH Announces New Singer - Mar. 16, 2011

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
In the wake of vocalist Matt Barlow's retirement, dozens of demos and resumes flooded ICED EARTH's management team. But one name kept popping up — INTO ETERNITY vocalist Stu Block (pictured below), who has been named the new lead singer for ICED EARTH.

According to Schaffer, Robert Kampf, CEO of Century Media, early on suggested Block, whose band INTO ETERNITY was previously on the CM label. That reminded Schaffer of one night in September 2008 when INTO ETERNITY opened for ICED EARTH.

More here:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=155364

I am pretty sure that some of you will not like John Schaffer's choice for Stu Block as the new Iced Earth singer. All I can say is, wait and give a new guy a chance. He is a great singer and he might be the right choice for Iced Earth at this moment.

I assume he will be singing in his normal voice. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF??!
Into Eternity is awesome, but I really can't see Stu Block singing for Iced Earth. And what does this mean for Into Eternity?

Would be cool if Into Eternity will get Chris Krall back into the fold. I liked him on vox better than Stu Block. Into Eternity's been on hiatus for so long... I wonder if when we'll ever get anything more from them.

I can't image there would be any growling on Iced Earth... but who knows.

I don't know... might be cool since it's IE... damn, both bands have the abbreviation IE.. well Iced earth..

I was an Into eternity fan but since Block started with the band, I kind of lost interest.. it was a bit different, the vocals moved to more extreme at both ends, deeper growls and higher wails.. I admit the guy has talent, but maybe it's not my thing.

I'll give the guy a chance

Been with Jon & Co. for a long time so I'm ever optimistic. Stu's highs seem a little thin compared to Matt and Rippers power but I'm sure Jon has a plan and it might work out well. As for his growls, maybe there's an angrier Iced Earth in the works. I'd really like to hear him do some of the old material.

Stu is a really good singer. I can't deal with extreme vocals unless they are just used for an accent though. Lead Vocal is the most important instrument in a band, but songwriting comes first. I think IE can be successful again if the songwriting can get back to where it used to be a few years back.

Bryant

WOW. Did not see this coming. I thought Into Eternity was working on a new album? Did he leave Into Eternity? Does Tim Roth know about this?!?!:D

I think this is an interesting move, but I like it. I do not love his high range, it's OK, but I know there's more to him than that. I saw them live with him a couple of times. To be honest, Into Eternity will never top Buried In Oblivion. I thought the albums since were a little over the top, if that's possible. HAHA. Buried In Oblivion is easily one of my top 10 albums from 2000-2009, and my favorite of 2004.

To be honest, Into Eternity will never top Buried In Oblivion. I thought the albums since were a little over the top, if that's possible. HAHA. Buried In Oblivion is easily one of my top 10 albums from 2000-2009, and my favorite of 2004.

Word... Excellent album. Been a long time since I've listened to it...

This is an interesting choice, and personally I'm glad it went the way it did, as if Jon would of went with just another atypical power metal / heavy metal singer it wouldn't open up an opportunity for a new vocal style to give him a kick in his creative butt and start putting out the fresh yet strong material he hasn't been able to produce lately. Even though Matt will always be the Iced Earth singer in my book, I held next to zero anticipation for new IE releases past The Glorious Burden past a "Oh, thats cool I guess." (which is rather depressing seeing as the band had been one of the more inspirational acts in metal for me growing up) response to finding out about new releases, that could all change with this move.

It could also fall flat on its face, we'll see.

I just updated the Into Eternity site with a note from Stu and that Iced Earth press release (damn I have to think of new abbreviations for both bands :rolleyes:)

http://www.intoeternity.net/

Both Tim and Stu's girlfriend Christina (a singer herself) have heard those Iced Earth songs Stu had to sing, and they both say it's a whole different Stu on there. That guy can do it all, so I'm not worried. Still, Barlow is Barlow (waaay up there in my books), so I don't know if I will love it AS much with Stu, no matter how big a fan I am of him. It won't be a Ripper that ruins all the old songs for lack of emotion (again, in my books). The band died for me when they picked him, I saw them live with him and walked away crying and pissed. They revived a bit with Matt being back and now the amazing Stu takes over... I'll be a bit nervous, but at the same time I'm confident he's going to do a great job :)

And Matt.. here's to hoping he'll rejoin Pyramaze (love that album possibly more than the Iced Earth one) :devil:

Okay, I have been out of it for a while I guess. I didn't even know Matt Barlow had quit.

And Matt.. here's to hoping he'll rejoin Pyramaze (love that album possibly more than the Iced Earth one) :devil:

No, no, no. Urban Breed is on Pyramaze right now, so I expect the band appelas to me finally, no need whatsoever to have Barlow in any band actually :)

I just updated the Into Eternity site with a note from Stu and that Iced Earth press release (damn I have to think of new abbreviations for both bands :rolleyes:)

http://www.intoeternity.net/

Both Tim and Stu's girlfriend Christina (a singer herself) have heard those Iced Earth songs Stu had to sing, and they both say it's a whole different Stu on there. That guy can do it all, so I'm not worried. Still, Barlow is Barlow (waaay up there in my books), so I don't know if I will love it AS much with Stu, no matter how big a fan I am of him. It won't be a Ripper that ruins all the old songs for lack of emotion (again, in my books). The band died for me when they picked him, I saw them live with him and walked away crying and pissed. They revived a bit with Matt being back and now the amazing Stu takes over... I'll be a bit nervous, but at the same time I'm confident he's going to do a great job :)

+1 Marlies. I agree with every word here. :)

How long until Schaffer the megalomaniac sacks him though?

Dunno, we can post a pool in here to see if anyone gets it :heh:

It's sad the Yngwie effect :rolleyes:, and worse the fact that a person can't read the signs and quit...oh well not my problem anyway.

I always feel pretty sorry for Tim Owens. He's got too good a voice to get sacked all the time.

My felings exactly. On the other hand he's not a good composer his band doesn't appeal to me, but everywhere else he does a great voice for hire.

Agreed. On a songwriting level he's pretty bad. The Beyond Fear album had some terrible lyrics. But what a voice!! And he always comes across well in interviews in my opinion. Seems like a decent guy, very humble.