Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Ok, so this album's been out a week now.

What is your opinion on the new IE?

Many of the long running metal bands have been dissappointing me lately.
I am afraid I might be adding IE to the list.

The classic IE sound is there, though it doesn't sound very inspired.

If nothing else, this makes me anticipate the new Pyramaze even more.

Discuss...

Well, fine and dandy. But is it Iced Earth's responsibility to prove to the metal community that Ripper is more than a Halford clone?

I don't know. I was hoping for more.
Hopefully it will grow on me.

I remember being dissappointed when HORROR SHOW first came out too.

I don't have time to go in-depth, but the album kicks all sorts of ass.

The Clouding ranks up there with the rest of the Iced Earth epic songs. That heavy part absolutely kills, and Ripper's voice is just seething with evil.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the album - lots of great riffs, intricate music, and some of Ripper's best & varied vocals. Part 2 should be more aggressive as Set Abominae shows up and starts to annihilate everyone.

I stopped liking IE once Barlow left. That album they made about the civil war or whatever was not very good. I couldn't get past like song 3.

I saw a video from the new album, and it looked really really bad, and I don't remember the song sounding that great either. I am definately looking forward to the new Pyramaze album with Barlow on vocals.

While The Clouding might be one of Jon's best songs, I'm not sure where I stand on this album after multiple listens. For something that Jon basically comes off as claiming as being career defining it's a bit of a let down, but I need a few more listens with this one to really make judgement.

I really liked The Dark Saga and The Glorious Burden.

Dark Saga is the album that got me into Iced Earth, though it is definitely their most "commercial" sounding release, which doesn't sit well with some.

That's just one of those albums you can put on and easily listen to straight through.

I am mixed on the Glorious Burden. Some good songs, but I agree with the opinion of many that it includes many recycled IE riffs.

Dark Saga is the album that got me into Iced Earth, though it is definitely their most "commercial" sounding release, which doesn't sit well with some.

That's just one of those albums you can put on and easily listen to straight through.

I am mixed on the Glorious Burden. Some good songs, but I agree with the opinion of many that it includes many recycled IE riffs.

Yeah, The Dark Saga was my first Iced Earth album. I know it's supposedly simpler and more commercial than the rest, but I really like it. The second album I got was The Glorious Burden, and I really liked it. Since I only really listen to those two albums plus Alive in Athens, I don't notice quite so much of the riff re-usual that turns people off on a lot of their material, probably. But even on just those albums, it is quite apparent that Jon overuses stuff.

I've gotten better about it. But I still am not a big fan of much black, death, or thrash metal... Namely for thrash, if it isn't Testament, I probably won't listen to it (I am a huge Testament fan; they just destroy all other thrash bands that I've heard IMO).

The main point of his argument is Carcass. I only ever listen to Heartwork... Or the fact that the only Overkill album I really listen to is ReliXIV. Or for Nevermore it's Dead Heart in a Dead World and This Godless Endeavor... Or Immortal's Damned In Black... Or Dissection's Reinkaos... Iron Maiden's Powerslave... Death's The Sound of Perservereance (spelled that SO wrong, too)... And so on and so forth.

But in my defense, I also like entire discographies of other bands. Like Black Sabbath, Ozzy, and Dio (including all Rainbow stuff he appeared on), I have their entire discographies, and a ton of Black Sabbath and Dio bootlegs and demos and stuff that I have collected over the years, including vinyls. Or all the Dream Evil albums.

^^
Heh, oddly enough, I did get a free copy of the disc. That said, having spun it a hell of a lot in the past week, I would not have been at all upset about paying for it.

I hated... hated, hated, hated The Glorious Burden, but Framing Armageddon is pretty damn good. It's not top-tier material for me, but considering I had all but left this band for dead after their last album, this album is quite impressive. It doesn't have the forced feel I picked up on with the previous disc, and Ripper sounds pretty damn incredible. I'm still a Barlow fanboy at heart, but I can genuinely say that I dig this new disc, and if it's an indication of where the band might be headed, I can see myself sticking around for a few albums more to hear how they step up their game over time.