Iced Earth: Jon Schaffer's Opinion of Burnt Offerings

Rycher

Oskee Wow Wow!
Jan 5, 2007
Northern Chicago Burbs
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=101877

37 minute interview/press conference with Jon and Matt. Around the 30-32 minute mark, Jon is asked why he doesn't like Burnt Offerings. His response indicated that they don't play songs from the record because it is the worst-selling Iced Earth album in the catalog. That translates to "fans don't like it as much as the higher selling records, so we'll play songs from those instead."

He did state that he likes moments on the record, and loves Dante's Inferno, which may show up at future shows with Last December.

For a while, we've known that Jon disliked the record, but I thought it was interesting to hear his perspective as to why those songs aren't played at shows anymore.

Also of note:

Authorized Iced Earth box set to appear someday in the future, featuring Framing Armageddon re-sung in it's entirety by Matt to preserve continuity in the story along with other exclusive content, videos from the 2008 tour, etc.

Authorized Iced Earth box set to appear someday in the future, featuring Framing Armageddon re-sung in it's entirety by Matt to preserve continuity in the story along with other exclusive content, videos from the 2008 tour, etc.

Hell, I knew that was going to happen as soon as Matt re-joined. Announcing it was almost unnecessary.

Jon did say in that interview that he loves Ripper's performance on both TGB and Framing Armageddon, and he doesn't want to take anything away from those records. But seeing as how this is a two-part concept, he wants to preserve the continuity, and re-record and remix Framing Armageddon with Matt.

:lol:

make $ is what he wants I dont believe that at all tbh

Well duh, every single human being wants to make money in their profession. I refuse to discredit any musician for that. Record companies can take the flak, because they're the greedy entities.

I give Jon more credit than others because I've always felt that Iced Earth always puts out a quality product, whether it's the music, packaging, or additional content. He really makes sure that fans know what they're getting, whether it's good or bad (i.e. he'll call out the record companies when they put out something without his stamp of approval)

Nobody has to believe him, and nobody has to buy his product - but I just thought it was interesting to hear, and I'm sure a lot of people weren't going to listen to a 37 minute interview to find that info for themselves.

If it's another discography-spanning box set, there's no way in hell I'll be buying it if that's the only way to get the Barlow version of Framing Armageddon. Not that I bought that last one either... If they did some sort of deluxe double disc reissue of both of them together, I'd be down with that...

itl be concerning the something wicked parts only form what i can see. not to mention separate releases will be made sooner or later.

It does make sense that he would re-do FA but he at least puts on a facade of showing respect to Ripper by not re-doing TGB.

I had FA in my car most of my 2nd semester so I liked it. I will buy them separatly when there is a chance.