Iced Earth major news!!!!!!!!!!!!

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
"Hello Dear Friends!

Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

While out on the European tour I had several in depth discussions with many loyal Iced Earth fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in Iced Earth’s history.

When I heard several months ago that Matt was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn’t act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn’t seem realistic.

Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to Iced Earth and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the Something Wicked concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of Iced Earth shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we’ve all been waiting for.

I want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt’s presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

You true fans know that I’m a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for Iced Earth. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn’t be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt’s family in early 2008!

I am very happy to announce that Iced Earth is truly BACK!

Have a great holiday season. We’ll be in touch very soon with more details.

Jon Schaffer"

Yea, this is pretty epic news. If Barlow can save Iced Earth now (I thought the albums with Owens were totally mediocre and bland), I think the band will be back on track.

Personally disappointed

Schaffer has added more (up on blabbermouth) about how Ripper is still the voice how he imagined the songs being sung and also that touring will be very limited as Barlow will still be doing his security job

Yea, this is pretty epic news. If Barlow can save Iced Earth now (I thought the albums with Owens were totally mediocre and bland), I think the band will be back on track.

The problem with the Owens albums was'nt his voice, it was that the songs were just not up to the quality of the older ones. The vocals are not what's holding back Iced Earth, it's John Schaffers inability to write good songs. They've had two of the finest vocalists in the world now, and they're still getting nowhere near a top band like them should be.

They're bloody useless live as well now, they should quit while they're ahead. Barlow singing any of the new stuff that Schaffer is writing is only going to put him on the sinking ship that Schaffer has been living on since 2002.

Talking to a friend he said something I agree with to an extent.

"I personal found Matt Barlow to be a bit insipid- I prefer the much underrated Ripper Owens (who just can't seem to cut a break, frankly. Okay, he's not Rob Halford, but to me he was the thing that lifted Iced Earth from mediocrity to true greatness). I certainly can't see Barlow's impression of Robert E. Lee being as good... :p

I wonder if its just Jon Schaffer's rather odd inability to work with anyone for longer than.. a month. Bear in mind that, Schaffer aside, Owens had been the band the longest (a mere four years)..."

Personally disappointed

Schaffer has added more (up on blabbermouth) about how Ripper is still the voice how he imagined the songs being sung and also that touring will be very limited as Barlow will still be doing his security job

I agree with you 100%.

I love Iced Earth, but I think things have gone too far.

Sure, Barlow left on his own accord.
It seems though that Jon saw he was coming back to music with Pyramaze, and then panicked, since a lot of folks were excited by it.

Jon has made lots of comments like what Dan mentioned above, praising Ripper and saying how he always envisioned his voice.

I wonder if Jon's ego has gotten so large that in his own mind, he views this "Return" something along the lines of the return of Bruce to Maiden and Halford to Priest.

I dunno. I love IE, and while I prefer Barlow to Ripper, this whole situation leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason........

I can't say I've ever liked Iced Earth, but I think that with Owens they were at least tolerable.

I bet he's starting to get a bit fucked off with being hoofed out of bands to make way for reunions ^_^ Sod them all and start your own, mate!